can african cichlids live for a while without sand substrate

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by jayjet, May 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jayjet

jayjet Plankton

im just entering this new post because im a little short on cash and was wondering if its safe for african cichlids to live without sand, and i was wondering if live rock was good for filtration in my sump i have some p[ics below
    [​IMG]
    diy canopy no light yet...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

they would live without sand, but once you add sand/lr etc might start a new cycle. just watch your ammonia and nitrites.

4. LucBB

LucBB Bristle Worm

Are those scouring pads in the sump? lol. Never seen that before. But i guess if it works, it works. When you say 'live rock' what exactly do you mean? But yes, there is no reason why they couldn't live without sand.

5. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

calcium carbonate rocks should be ok. Even in freshwater they will colonize with beneficial bacteria, many of them are the same strains as in marine environments, so I guess it would work. IIRC Cichlids prefer hard alkaline waters, right? ....

adding cleaned inert sand shouldn't cause a cycle... I used to use drilling sand, it's pure silica sand, large grain sizes are available, works great.

6. timber127

timber127 Plankton

i have a few chichlids, i been keeping them for about 3yrs now and never used sand, id like to i want an actual rift lake set up but dont got the money so i just use what i got lol and they do just fine with garvel, i have some fake rock and plants and java moss and my tanks healthy, just keep your ph and hardiness levels in check, and of course ammonia, etc.