can activated carbon be "recharged"

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by tinctorus, Jan 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

I was thinking today about whether or not it was possible to "re-activate" carbon once it has been used for say a month or two??
    I think I know that answer BUT I figured I would ask on here anyways since there is alot of guys that have been on the hobby long enough to have either heard of someone attempting this before or have possibly done it themselves

Any help on this question would be GREATLY appreciated...

I know some resins can be "recharged" by either putting them in the oven, as well as some resins that can be recharged by soaking them in a chemical mixture of bleach

Thank you guy's AND gal's in advance

Mike G

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You might if you have the same equipment available that is used for activating it. For our use that would be a greater expense than it is worth.

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

It is done on a very large scale. Water treatment plants and other industrial users send it back to have it regenerated but its never quite as good as new. Some places such as the utility I used to supervise would specify only virgin carbon be used.

5. ZepQuarium

ZepQuarium Spaghetti Worm

Carbon does it's thing because it is one of few elements that bond to most things...

As Carbon's open 'connector' points bond with 'pollutants' the open 'spot' is filled... meaning as the carbon takes pollutants out of hte water, the carbon becomes 'filled' and becomes useless for further 'filtering'.

6. tinctorus

tinctorus Feather Duster

I should have phrased my question differently, What I wanted to know was if I baked it to dry it out could I use it for things like a air filter for the skimmer or other things like that?
    Not to reuse it in the tank

7. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

If you want a reusable media look at puragin it's better than carbon to a

8. Click Here!

9. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Baking does no good. It requires a chemical reaction to remove contaminates and reactivate it. I have heard of guys doing it from way back, but the chemicals involved have always worried me... especially around my tank.

10. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

A month or two? Granted I fill it halfway, but I change mine every two weeks. Also keep in mind, there are different types of carbon. Some do a better job than others.

11. Danger731

Danger731 Plankton

I can't see the savings, it's not like printer ink prices...

12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid