THanks again. At this point I actuallly feel better because I found at least one thing living, which leads me to believe the rock could probably still be living (yes, uneducated guess, partly hope). I already did most of what you suggest. I got the dead stuff out, I have my pump going with air and will do a water change today. Should I try buying another bag of live sand and add it to the tank with the existing? Or would you wait for that? How will I know if the rock is still alive and salvagable? Will I just have to wait and see if readings go back to normal and stay there?