calling southern freshwater fisher's

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by Va Reef, Apr 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

i live across the street from a pond. currently stocked in that pond (fish wise) are black crappie, white crappie, largemouth bass, warmouths, bluegill, sunfish, grass pickerel, bullhead catfish, bowfin, white perch. i was wondering what i could keep in a 20 gal long tank? thanks

2. Click Here!

3. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

None of the fish you mentioned. :)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

what would be minimum for like a crappie, or warmouth, you know, the pan fish.

5. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

I've seen those fish get up to 12" long where I have fished in lakes in the south... So, I'd say like 75 gallons minimum. Even then, it would be kinda cramped. I'm not sure why you'd want to keep these fish in a tank though... if you're considering it to save money, there are several cool fish you can keep in a freshwater tank that are cheap. I'd say these pan fish belong IN a pan, being fried with some cornmeal batter. ;)

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

oh i honestly havent seen most of the smaller ones i listed over 6", and i just thought it would have been a cool predator idea, i was gonna say i could do it in a 45, but as you suggested the 75, well 45 wouldnt cut it :p. just curios do you like to/try to fly fish? its so much more fun in the south then in up north