Calling all SPS Reefers! Tank params. please!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Claic Yuzolt, Oct 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jfannin

jfannin Flamingo Tongue

So your saying that you keep track of you mg with a refractomitor? I don't get it.

My numbers:

Ca 450 Other then that I don't dose just often water changes
    Temp 75-76
    sg 1.023

Setup 40g SPS and a few LPS and clams

Anyone care to Comment on my numbers good or bad.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I think you will notice that most people that responded keep their SG around 1.026. The reason for this is that is more closely matches NSW. IMO when keeping clams and stoney corals you want to keep the SG higher than 1.023.

When keeping SPS and clams you also want to monitor ph, alk, mg just as much as ca.

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I assume you're talking to me.

My comment on your numbers is incomplete. What is your Mg and dKH?

I can't tell you what my Mg is based on my refractometer. But Mg is a salt. And I keep my Mg at 1500. Which keeps my SG at 1.027.

So, also keep in mind that my water is very stable, very. My params don't change.

If you look at your refractometer, for any given number, there is a little bit of range that you would call "1.027". basically anything from 1.0265-1.0274 right? The refractometer isn't so precise. The line can be slightly over, slightly under, or right on the 027 mark and I at least would still call it 1.027 right.

OK. So, when I test my Mg at 1500 my refractometer reads slightly above the 1.027 line. But I noticed after 4-6 weeksn when my Mg is back down to 1400 my SG is slightly under the 1.027 line. My SG changes slightly based on Mg.

With my ATO and auto dosing, Mg is the only thing that is fluctuating. Plus, I've confirmed this by testing and comparing.

So nowadays I just test my SG weekly. Once I notice it drops below the line, then I test Mg and confirm. At which point I'll dose 100points of Mg.

Does that make sense?

It's magic to me. Saves me money on expensive Mg tests.

5. jfannin

jfannin Flamingo Tongue

Ok I see what your talking about. Thats a good idea. I'll have to remimber that once I'm auto dicing Ca at the moment I don't have alot of Ca uptake. Well I take that back I just added several more sps so i have fully tested my new Ca uptake.

As for ph mine is 8.3 and dkh it's 8

Everything stays at this with 25% water changes every month.

Thoughts or advice? I'm use the BRS 2 part but I've only been using the Ca.

I always thought my number where what everyone alse was running but it isn't looking that way :(

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

My numbers do run on the high side... I just find it easier to maintain this way. stability is key, so I don't force the issue.

7. Dr. Reefenstein

Dr. Reefenstein Fire Shrimp

Ca - 420
    alk - 10
    mag - 1400
    temp - 81
    salinity - 1.025