Calling all SPS Reefers! Tank params. please!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Claic Yuzolt, Oct 21, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

No ATO so I add about 1/3 gallon RO/DI everyother day, and honestly before I do the sg is 1.027. The lighting and open back as well as the humidity here just suck up the water. No problems with the shrimp other than the clownfish picking them off one by one. uhhhhh:-/

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

What sized system? I wish I could top off with 1/3 gallon every other day. I need top off 1.5 to 2 gallons a day.

4. Corailline

JBJ 28 gal, which means with all the lr you probably get around 23 gallons. I could shot for lower like 1.023-1.024, but the corals just like the other range better.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That explains the difference, my system is 112 gallons with an open sump and a canopy that is open top. I have always shot for 1.026SG since i got corals after reading up on their needs.

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I was thinking about it. I used to keep my SG at 1.026. But since I started keeping my Mg at 1450-1500 that has bumped my SG up a point.

The neat thing about this is that I don't need to run a *relatively* expensive and time consuming Mg test to know if it's time to dose Mg. With my refractometer, it's a matter not so much of a full point but where the line is on the point (if you have one, you probably know what I mean). Neat trick.

Disclaimer: if I feel the refractometer indicates time to dose Mg, I test Mg first. I end up testing and dosing Mg about every 4-6 weeks and I'm able to keep it in range this way.

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Also, I can only do that because I have ATO and autodose and all that, so I know it's not that causing the SG swing.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Very interesting, going to have to check that out.

It's weird the relationships we see between parameters, and their influence on a certain tank. What is weirder is that we know our tanks so well, that what cause and effect we see with one system may not even occur in another. I do not think enough people take into consideration how much the temperature influences the way other parameters register when tested, and that is just one variable.

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

My parameters were and will be again

Temp 80
    PH 8.2?
    SG - 1.026
    Mag - 1450
    Calc - 440
    DKH - 10
    Nitrate - less than 2.5ppm
    Phosphate - will read 0 on Salifert

Steve

11. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

PH: 8.3
    CA: 480
    Alk: 8 (Too low right now, should be around 10 - 12)
    Mg: 1340
    Sg: 1.026
    Temp: 78-80

12. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

as of sunday morning I was a follows:

PH 8.01 at 10 am - up to 8.15 by 9pm
    Sg 1.026
    MG 1400
    Ca 490
    KH 13
    temp 78.4 to 81

I am currently working to drop the KH to 11. I unplugged the Co2 solenoid and will plug it back in when I get it where i want. im still working to get it dialed in.

I also unplugged the chiller for hte past 2 weeks as it ahs been cool enough to not have it kick in all the time. unfortunately it has not been cool enough this weekend and I had to buck up and plug it backin when the alarm went off at 82*