calcum

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by tim owen, Oct 26, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tim owen

tim owen Plankton

hi
    in my reef tank i have soft,lps,sps corals.i test the usual stuff every week.lately i have noticed that the calcium is staying at 450 it doesn't deplete at all,is this a problem as i have always thought that calcium is a skeleton builder.all the corals look ok with no problems does anyone have an answer for me.
    thanks
    tangman(tim).

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Did you test the accuracy of the kit with another? It is not unusual to get a bad kit.

DSC reef likes this.
  4. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

+1 If you have hard corals, your calcium should be decreasing.

5. REEFerMADNESS88

REEFerMADNESS88 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

he raises a good question for us beginners. What is a good resource to figure out the exact calcium needs for different corals? Hard corals obviously require much higher levels than the softies, where would someone (me) find out what is needed for say some zoa's and what would be the best method of providing it?

6. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Measure calcium every day for a week. Figure out about how much calcium you're losing daily, or do a weekly average.

There are many ways to maintain calcium (and alkalinity, another key aspect for hard corals, along with magnesium and trace elements, arguably) from manually dosing to auto dosing to running a calcium reactor. If your calcium uptake is low, say 5-10ppm a week, manually dosing is usually the best bet. You can use which ever calcium supplement you like. I prefer anhydrous calcium.

Sataly and DSC reef like this.
  7. REEFerMADNESS88

so if im planning on just keeping some zoas and maybe a mushroom i would imagine calcium use would be in the lower range

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Your coralline algae will suck some up, but water changes should keep up with that IMO.

Vinnyboombatz and DSC reef like this.
  10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Even if your doing zoas the corailline algae will deplete some calcium along with turbo snails if you have any. It won't be as much as a full blown reef tank with clams but it could be enough to cause an imbalance. Testing like VA said to see what your tank uses. Every tank is different and you would be suprised how the big 3 can fluctuate. I've been using ESV B-ionic, great results so far and the most stable my tank has been.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  11. REEFerMADNESS88

cool when it comes to be coral time ill keep that in mind

DSC reef likes this.
  12. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

I've always been curious as to how you actually test your params. I've always just done water changes but I may end dosing soon. thanks for this