Calcuim high without ever adding any?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by cpandrewschmidt, Dec 30, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cpandrewschmidt

cpandrewschmidt Astrea Snail

Hello,
    More questions, one day I hope to actually help someone else :) Two days ago I bought the two part B-Ionic calcium kit. I didn't check it before which I should have done, but today I checked it after two dosings and if I did the test right it took me a lot of drops to get to the blue color. It would seem my calcuim was over 600 by the test. The LFS said it would take a week or two to get my levels up and to start testing then. I'm pretty sure I did the test right, it sucks though because I am color blind and blue isn't my favorite color :-/ Well, anywho let me know what you think.

Andrew

2. Click Here!

3. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

I doubt your calcium is 600....do the test over a few times and compare results.....also have someone eles varify the color along with you (i second check all the time with people). I would retest a fewtimes, then have the LFS do one.

4. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

My calcium level is about 600 - 650 and i dont add any suplements either. The reason my calcium levels are so high is becouse my top off water is loaded with calcium and I top off about 2 - 3 gallons a day, the only way for me to bring my calcium levels down is to run it through a reverse osmosis system to remove the calcium , so it is possable to have a calcium level over 600 even if you dont add any to your tank.

5. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

[quote author=Fishez link=board=General;num=1104454499;start=0#2 date=12/30/04 at 22:39:59]My calcium level is about 600 - 650 and i dont add any suplements either. The reason my calcium levels are so high is becouse my top off water is loaded with calcium and I top off about 2 - 3 gallons a day, the only way for me to bring my calcium levels down is to run it through a reverse osmosis system to remove the calcium , so it is possable to have a calcium level over 600 even if you dont add any to your tank.[/quote]
    600......im not sure. Never heard of sucj high levels. That would not be healthy. Ive had way too many people say the same, only to have me do the test personally and get a much lower reading....but hey i gues if you local municipal council is trying to give your kidneys and liver calcium poisoning then i guess its possible. ALthoug i dont know the amount of calcium in drinking water i am going to research it....as son as i find #'s ill be back...also have seen lots of wierd stuff throw calcium tests outta whack.

Andrew i would still test and retest your water for confirmed results.

6. cpandrewschmidt

cpandrewschmidt Astrea Snail

Thanks I will test it a few times and also take a sample into the LFS this weekend some time when they open back up. I also want to find #'s in the tap water because I don't have the $ right now to get the RO systems. Hey, what are some other options for better water to use???

Andrew

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I also understand that Oceanic salt (some batches) were over 500, what brand are you using? :D

8. Click Here!

9. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

My Ca stays over 500 without dosing because of Oceanic. I now combine Oceanic with Instant Ocean so it doesn't get quite as high but I still don't have to dose the Ca and I like that! ;D Everyone in the tank seems to be happy!

Cindy

10. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

11. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

sea_splender if you fill up a 90 gallon tank with tap water and do all top offs with tap water "I wish i had a RO unit" and you dont have anything in your tank that requires calcium or anything in your tank that uses calcium and water evaporates but calcium dosent then where does the calcium go? Alot of municipal water supplies have calcium levels around 300 - 500 = hard water, mine might be a little higher .If you drank 5 gallons of water with a calcium reading of 600 you wouldnt get calcium poisoning but that was funny.

12. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Eventually, calcium will precipitate out....once the water is saturated. :D