Calcium too high ?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Fishez, Dec 23, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

I just checked my calcium level and its at 600 . I dont add any supplements or anything but I do have to top off my tank everyday with about 2 to 2 1/2 gallons . Is 600 too high or what ? 8)

2. Click Here!

3. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

optimal calcium levels (Ca2+) should be between 400 to 475 mg/l. levels above about 550 wil result in the precipitation of calcium carbonate resulting in a reduction of alkalinity, as such calcification (coral growth) would become more difficult .

I would also keep an eye on your Ph as this and alkalinity and calcium levels all sort of work together.

4. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

Just checked Alk and PH , Alk is high and PH is 8.2

5. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

Could this high level of calcium in my tank couse my filters to clog , becouse ive been noticing that I have to change my filters about once every 4 or 5 days becouse they are overflowing over the top of the filters and theres nothing in my tank but 2 clowns and a little liverock that has been in there for 7 weeks so there shouldnt be alot of waste to filter out .

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Not sure about your filters ... what kind of salt water (mix) do you use? You should test that before you add to your tank to see where it's at.

7. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

I use IO salt mix .

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hmm test it next time you mix some up, I've heard from others whos salt has high levels. When you say you top off with 2 gallons a day, that's fresh water right? (Just checking.)

10. Fishez

Fishez Bristle Worm

yeah 2 gallons of top off water , fresh water.

11. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Fishez,

I would not be usual for calcium to deposit onto filters etc so that could be the reason for the clogging. To make sure, why not just soak the filters in some vinegar, rinse thoroughly with water and see if that helps.

600 is a high reading, how often do you do water changes and do you have a lot of coral rubble in the tank?

John

12. geologeek

geologeek Fire Worm

How old is your test kit? Any chance of getting to an LFS to check? or even a friends kit?

I had similar problems a year back and pulled my hair out for two days before i saw my cat had put a hole in the container with her claws, rendering the kit useless?