CALCIUM TO HIGH?!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Midnight_Madman, Sep 10, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

Oh yea....also I have noted some coral growth in the last week and a half. Moved my corals to a different location in the tank and they grow twards the lamp like a plant will. Soft corals of course. Also got 90 pounds live rock yesterday for my new 55 gal. Got some really awesome shaped rocks... I will post some pics later
    Got a whole 35 gallon rubbermade can to the top with rock. I have 2 powerheads and a new Aqua C skimmer on it as well helping it cure. Wont need much curing though...it looked real fresh. Even had worms coming out wiggling!!!

Jay ;D :D ;D

2. Click Here!

3. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

Well, I found that either I'm the owner of a bad calcium test, or my kalkwasser addition last night was super stuff. After discovering a sick fish this morning (still a sensitive subject, he's dead- read my fu manchu post for more) I had my water tested. My calcium readings were between 550 and 600. :eek:

I'm a bit skeptical, so I've bought another test and will do a comparison after I get something to eat. I haven't had much of an appetite today after seeing my new favorite fish floating belly up.

4. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

OK, the SeaTest Ca test (from the makers of Instant Ocean) still reads 330. This test uses is a 3 part test, 1 powder and 2 liquids. Using an Aquarium Pharmaceutical's test (same as the LFS used), which is a 2 part liquid test, the reading is 480. Again, I'm torn on the results, but am leaning toward the fact that the SeaTest is just faulty. I have a hard time believing the 330 result. On the other side, I find it concerning that my LFS came up with such a different reading using the same test. Looks like I need to find a Salifert Ca test too!

Geez, all I want is an accurate reading, is that so much to ask?

5. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

I don't think the calcium would have hurt your Fu. Calcium would hurt the corals. I'm sure there is a level that the fish couldn't take. Don't mess with the Salifert Ca test as I said above I've heard about some problems. Pick up a Seachem or La Motte.

6. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

[quote author=Matt Rogers link=board=ASAP;num=1094849802;start=15#17 date=09/11/04 at 12:41:01]What's your alk at Cindy?
    [/quote]

My alkalinity the last time I tested (8-25-04) was 12 dKH. I haven't done any test since my last water change of 9-1-04. I'll run some tests tomorrow and see how it looks.

Cindy

7. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

If my calcium is at 550 and I have 3 RO florescent bulbs. One 03/ one 10,000k/ one 50/50 will my coraline aglea grow? Is that enough lighting? Like I said, I do not have any live corals. Just liverock and fish. Some of my liverock has these pink colored branch type stuff growing out of it..? anyone have an idea what it is? I will try to send a pic.

8. Click Here!

9. reefman_MC

Actually most coralline prefer low to moderate lighting. So yes you can grow it.

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Tons of coraline in my 20 gallon long with 110 watts of 10,000k PC lighting.

11. reefman_MC

Coraline will pretty much grow under any lighting as long as it isn't complete darkness.

12. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

Wow.. then I must have something wrong.