CALCIUM TO HIGH?!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Midnight_Madman, Sep 10, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=ASAP;num=1094849802;start=0#1 date=09/10/04 at 14:42:34]I recommend you get some new LPS or SPS corals immediately! ;)[/quote]

Bump! ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

Ok thanks for all the help guys. I paid a lot for that test kit. I thought it was a good one.... I havent checked my alk yet. I know my ph is good though. all I want is a lot of coraline : (

4. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I also was giving it a dose of Kent Liquid Calcium every 2 or 3 weeks, without having my test kit. I guess that could cause it to be high. :-[

5. Craig Manoukian

A week's time should get things back in order.

6. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

[quote author=amcarrig link=board=ASAP;num=1094849802;start=0#7 date=09/10/04 at 18:39:22]GraviT, what's your mag at? [/quote]

Good question amcarrig, I have yet to find a mag test kit around here. I suspect that is probably the problem, and will hunt for one online.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If it turns out that your mag is low, it's nothing that a little epsom salts can't fix. It's a good, cheap source of magnesium :)

8. Click Here!

9. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

My calcium stays high and I don't add anything. I use Salifert and after a water change I'm over 500. I've been told its probably due to the Oceanic salt. Nothing seems to be affected by it and then it will drop a little into 480-490. I like not having to add any supplements so I guess I'll keep on using Oceanic.

Cindy

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

What's your alk at Cindy?

[quote author=TA-Designs link=board=ASAP;num=1094849802;start=0#12 date=09/10/04 at 20:30:35]I also was giving it a dose of Kent Liquid Calcium every 2 or 3  weeks, without having my test kit. I guess that could cause it to be high.  :-[[/quote]

Yep, careful with that. I got into this routine in August when I was having a bit too much fun and not testing. My calcium went through the roof from all the blind dosing and my alk went to 2!

11. Craig Manoukian

Always test before dosing! Number one rule violated by many in this hobby. It is much easier to put it in than get it out, eh?

12. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

FYI:

About the Salifert test kits. I am new to this but I have bought all the Salifert test kits that I think are needed.
    Yesterday I got my Stronium test kit and gave it a whearl. It tests the Calcium halfway through the test which I thought was cool then you go on to finish the test and get the stronium lelels. My Calcium tested 380 and its always been around 450-460. So I got out my Calcium only Salifert test to double check and it hit smack on 380 so that was reasuring that it was consistant between the two tests. So I thought I wouls do the weekly other tests and found that my Alk levels had also dropped a few notches but that put right in the target window as it was a little on the high side. I added alittle Calcium and will test in 24 hours so I can see how the doses work on my tank. Writing all this down in Reefcon Pro software. Has anyone else used this software?

Anyway I just wanted to add my two cents about the Salifert tests being consistant If not accurate.
    Jay