calcium reactor?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by supratt, Jul 6, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. supratt

supratt Fire Shrimp

i have a 40 breeder with a 30gal sump, there will be a total of about 60 to 65 gal with everything running. should i get a calcium reactor if i want to keep sps corals? what reactor would you recomend? also how do you guys dose calcium?

2. Click Here!

3. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

There is much debate about running a CA Reactor verses daily dosing...

At the beginning, it's likely a bit more difficult to get the CA reactor dialed in...but once done...well, I've not done more than watch mine for the last 3 months and test the water...I have found the Ca reactor the easy way to manage Ca, Mg, Alk, & pH...all balanced...

But, for my new system, ~50 gallons total, I will run automated dosing due to the limited space for equipment...but with some of the small Ca reactors and CO2 bottles out there...well, I still have a month or more to make the final decision and purchase something....

4. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

It can't hurt to get one if you can afford it. I like mine... been running a Geo 618 w/ milwaukee ph controller for about 6 weeks and haven't had to adjust or dose anything for about 4 weeks. I like the low maintenance aspect. It was expensive to start, but now I don't have to worry about my alk and calcium levels. It will pay for itself in about a year compared to the cost of dosing.

I was maintenance dosing 2 part, and could never keep my levels constant. With the CA reactor, my levels are VERY stable.

I think it comes down to how much do you want to spend now vs. over the long haul and what is the tradeoff for maintenance dosing vs. auto dosing vs. CA reactor.

All have advantages and disadvantages.

For pure economics, you can't beat a kalk reactor and Mrs Wages.