calcium reactor or kalkwasser

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by woowoodengy, Jan 29, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. woowoodengy

woowoodengy Astrea Snail

hey guys i have a question since all you guys are so much help i always like adding new stuff to my reef tank that will make all my critters happy yeh you could say i'm hooked and i recently started dripping kalk since i have seen so many diy reactors is a reactor a better idea should i build one buy one or keep dripping kalk or kalk and a reactor thanks guys. [smiley=confused1.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Just to throw into the mix, there are also Kalk reactors ;D which I need to look into....hmmm....

I have never used a calcium reactor, and don't know too much about them but I know that Kalk helps keep phosphates low by precipitation. If I went CA reactor, I would still probably keep kalk in the mix in some way, shape or form. Jason has a CA reactor...I believe....input??

4. mmakay

mmakay Feather Duster

You can build a calcium reactor, but it's not the easiest DIY project. You will also need to calibrate rates, refill CO2, etc. If you only recently started dripping kalk and everything is OK, I'd say a calcium reactor is probably not necessary. Maybe try kalk reactor like Birdlady mentioned. A kalk reactor is much simpler to build and maintain, and is nearly as effective.

5. woowoodengy

woowoodengy Astrea Snail

what is a kalk reactor and hoe does it work

6. woowoodengy

woowoodengy Astrea Snail

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Kalk reactor AKA Nilson Reactor is a device that allows you to pass top off water thru kalkwasser for a constant kalk drip. The better ones have a magnetic stirrer built in so it won';t get clogged up. That allows for periodic mixing of the water and kalk to help keep it in suspension. Most use a parastic doser to push the top off water thru the Nilsen Reactor. Check out www.myreefcreations.com he's sells a decent one.