Urgent calcium off the charts help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by blackreef13, Jul 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackreef13

blackreef13 Coral Banded Shrimp

will do havent changed my water in a week and a half im slacking so i should change my water every two weeks?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

IMO unless you do not have a lot of fish and are feed frequently you do not need to do such frequent water changes, bi-monthly will be fine. I do not run a skimmer either. I have 3 fish and feed every other day.

4. blackreef13

i currently have no fish thanks for the input everyone i think ill let the cacium go down by its self

5. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

note to highjack this thread but I would like to see your thread. I had checked your profile a week or so ago but did not see a thread for your setup. I am very interested in seeing it as your profile pick is sick and I wanted to see if you had it in your tank. now that you say it is SPS I want to see it even more.:)

1 thing why would doing a water change raise the calcium level that much(not being smart just trying to learn). Would his wc not have to contain excessive amounts of calcium to begin with. If the wc only contains 400ppm then it can't possibly get to 600 can it? Again I am just trying to learn not being a jerk. I see your rep so your opinions mean alot to both of us at this point. 1 to get blackreef13 back in line and 2 to school me.

6. blackreef13

o by the way everyone check out my nano build let me know what you think of my scape

7. blackreef13

Blackreef13's 10 gallon nano build
    heres the name

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-of...-water-change-brittle-spawn-pe-95347-100.html

Yes the profile picture is of my Red Planet Acropora, thanks for the compliment. :)

If you have no sps, clams, or not a lot of coralline growth ( often seen in new tanks), nothing is utilizing the calcium fast. The water evaporates during the week and if you are not topping off daily with just FW the concentration of the elements becomes more concentrated. You then do weekly wc on a small tank and over time the levels may climb because utilization is not occurring as rapidly. This will not happen with a couple of frequent water changes but over the course of weeks to months the numbers creep up.

I have found this to be especially true of the newer higher brands of salt like RC, I was actually quite surprised at the levels of Ca and mg after my first couple wc using this brand of salt.

Add to that dosing any trace or essential elements and you drive the levels higher over time.

Smaller tanks like nanos (anything under 30 gallons without a sump) it can be tricky keeping parameters in line. After a couple months of checking those parameters you get an idea of your own tanks chemistry profile and adjust accordingly.

A couple small frags are not going to make much of a dent in the uptake of ca, mg, strontium, iodine....

:)

10. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Corailline looks like I got alot to catch up on in that thread. 102 pages is going to take me a couple days.

Thanks

chris

PS good luck blackreef13.. keep us posted as it will be helpful to all

11. blackreef13