Calcium level

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ak47soulja22, Dec 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ak47soulja22

ak47soulja22 Flamingo Tongue

yeah i will test the salt water and also i will test the RO water while i am at it.
    salt IO

2. Click Here!

3. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

hmm, well IO typically has low calcium levels, but i believe that they also have low mag and alk. these are all probably out of balance. you cant fix the calcium without the mag and alk being somewhat in range

4. ak47soulja22

well i guess i have to wait to have the mag and the alk to be tested when i get the kits shipped to me. should i up grade to a larger tank maybe a 55?? for the lighting situation?? then kind of start lil from scratch? but use just to a water transfer??

5. Annie3410

do you have a LFS close? they should be able to test you water until your kits get in. u just have to ask what the numbers are cause they will just say "there fine"

6. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

do you have crushed coral? sand? Maybe your rocks are leaching some stuff into the water?

I'm still confused, wouldn't you see precipitation with that high of a calcium?

and I agree with Luna, 2x250W of MH is a bit toasty for me...and yep, you can bleach corals with too much light!!

7. ak47soulja22

haha yeah your right umm none that test alk and mag. they only test the elements that i have..... Jacks aquarium.... soooo upgrade yea or nah? thank you for all the help. be back to check answers in a few. thank you everyone again.
    i have a mixture of both sand and crushed coral. i have crushed coral in the fuge and its about 5 inch. and the mixture in the main tank is 3 inch...

8. Click Here!

9. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

If you are going to use those lights then yes I would upgrade to a bigger tank also get some attics, but you still will want to figure out why you cal lvl is so high so you don't repeat the problem if you get a bigger tank.

10. ak47soulja22

yeah i would keep the lights paided a pretty penny. how would i add actinics?? any diy with the metal heds>? 55 big enough or 75 or 90??

11. Annie3410

if you can go bigger, go bigger. 75 would be great.