Calcium high/ALK low

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by mikeb, Sep 30, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

I have a problem sort of like in the post "CALCIUM TOO HIGH". My calcium keeps rising and my alk is reading pretty low. I'm using Red Sea tests. My calcium is now up to 600 from 450 just two weeks ago. The alk test doesn't actually give you number readings but it's reading on the "low" end of the color scale. I don't use any calcium additives. I do have the Kent Marine Tech CB two-part system and was wondering if I could use just the part B to help with the alk? It says to use both parts though so I'm not sure what to do. I thought if I use just the part B that I could start controlling the alk without raising the calcium any more.

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

I think you need to check your magnessium levels. I'm sure you will find that they are low and need to be raised to around 1400ppm. Afer adjusting you should then see the Alk/Calc come back into balance over a few days

John

4. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

Thanks John, I'll try that. What about my question of the two part system. Can you use one without the other?

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

From the Kent website:

" If calcium level is at target and alkalinity is low, then reduce the amount of part A you are adding by 50% and double the amount of part B until the values are at target. Then proceed as directed. If alkalinity is high, reduce the amount of part B etc."

So I guess the answer is 'yes' :)

John