Calcium Alkalinity Additive Question.

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by AmericanChewToy, Jul 23, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AmericanChewToy

AmericanChewToy Astrea Snail

Hey guys I have been using:
    Seachem Reef Fusion 1 and 2 for keeping levels appropriate.
    It seems to be Ok, but just ok,
    I keep my Calcium at around 440 to 460
    And the alkalinity at around 9 to 10
    Is there something better out there that produces better results,
    Without robbing me blind?
    Would also be interested in what you all run your stuff at?
    If it matters, it’s a 45 Gal Bow front, all Hard corals mixed.
    Running a CPR 2R Bak Pak with a Lime wood air stone mod.
    A Two Lil fishes 150 reactor running Two Lil fishes synthetic ferric Oxide
    Daisy chained from the same pump into another 150 reactor running high end Carbon.
    Thanks for any input. :)

2. Click Here!

3. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

4. AmericanChewToy

Thanks Zesty :)
    I once mixed and used these when I had my 180 gal :) to save money along with club soda vodka and a few others to twist up the chemistry :)
    And I remember how it used to get hotter than a 3 dollar pistol when you added the water to make the Calcium recipe :)

Now that I have a little 45 Gal I figure the expense wouldn't be to bad getting the pre-made junk,
    just looking for something that has an above average coral growth attribute.

5. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I got ya. I used the Seachem when I first got into dosing. Then I quickly saw how expensive it was getting! yikes!

I switched up to the BRS stuff... it's cheaper...

6. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

I also use BRS stuff doesn't break the bank. I keep my tank at 460 - 480 cal, alk 8 - 9.

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

+1 for the BRS . Soda ash and Calcium chloride. You're tank is probably too small to justify a calcium reactor but if you're lazy like me and don't mind the upfront expense I rarely do anything for CA/MG/ALK and Potassium. The reactor keeps it all right where I want it and I fill it about twice a year.
    Also forgot to mention.. I use Carib sea coarse grain that also puts in Strontium and some other trace stuff at the right ratio. I had my water tested from triton after 1.5 years most stuff right where it's suppose to be.

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I use tropic Marin's original balling method. Pretty cheap and lasts FOREVER if you use the dry powder. It's a three part, the third part is an NaCl free sea salt, basically dosing trace elements. I love it.

10. AmericanChewToy

Awesome Thank you all :)
    Yeah I kick myself now as I had a Calcium reactor with the 180 Gal got rid of it with the rest of the stuff, :(
    but yeah this Aquarium is so small I do not know how that would have worked out
    I do know the C-Reactor part itself was dirt cheap and always Clogged, although I had a High end Controller\Valve Assembly\ and Bottle hooked up to it, didn't make sense, that like dropping a Beat up Pinto Motor in a Ferrari :)

Can you all tell me for those that have used both Seachem and the BRS, if there is any difference in the way your corals Look or Grow between these?
    Thanks Yall.

11. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I was only using the Seachem fusion 2 when I was using it. I have too much going on from then to now to form any opinion on my tank with just the seachem to BRS. I do have a friend with a 460DT and loves the fusion compared to the BRS, but not @ the 300$+ a month price. :eek:

Funny timing, work is over and I'm going to the LFS to pick up a new bottle of BRS soda ash... MAYBE some coral power.... Coralline made me do it. :D

12. AmericanChewToy