CAD Software for Aquarium Build

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by NASAGeek, Feb 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I am just starting the design of a 250gal Plywood build. I intent is to comlplete design it, outfit it, plumb it, wire it, etc. in CAD first to make sure my design is perfect before cutting the first piece of wood.

That way I can have all the experts on 3reef critique it and help me get it perfect.

Thus, I need a simple to use CAD program. I don't need anything particularly fancy.

Does anyone have any thoughts here on what to use??

M

2. Click Here!

3. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Does anyone have any experience with Google SketchUp??

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Google SketchUp
    This is about the easiest to use. I started mine in Catia v12 but never finished it. I don't know of anything with AutoCAD that is for aquariums.

5. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

this link has a FAQ and links to many of the various CAD products in use from free to pro.

6. jmik26

jmik26 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Google SketchUp gets my vote. Its free software and very powerful. It takes some getting use to but works perfect. Example below of how I used it to design my Stand... Jeff

Attached Files:

7. kookie_guy

kookie_guy Spaghetti Worm

If you can get your hands on solid works, that's great software. Not cheap by any means, but super powerful. I used it to redesign a new drive system for my RC boat. You can check if everything fits and works before any production. I believe there are even load/stress simulations you can run to test your structures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. zjpeter

zjpeter Ritteri Anemone

i guess i'm fairly low tech. whenever i'm building a cabinet or anything like that i just break out the graphing paper and a ruler. i've tried SketchUp and thought it was cool. i just didn't have the patience to master it. if you're good at that sort of thing, i've seen some crazy good things done with SketchUp. for a free software i don't think you can find better

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I want to see more pics of this boat..... ;D

11. kookie_guy

kookie_guy Spaghetti Worm

LOL. Will send PM

12. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Keep in mind that I am a major NASA geek, so 3D modeling and such are something that I am used to. As arrogant as this sounds, and I don't mean it that way, it is just that I don't actually DO modeling at work.... I have people for that. I am that hopefully-not-too-annoying manager that asks modelers to do everything. Now, I get a taste of my own medicine.

My real objective is that I want to plan out all the plumbing, wiring structure, etc. I am going to try have a "maximum efficency" design to get a big tank, sump, refugium, ATO, skimmer, etc in the minimum foot print while maximizing water volume.

Spending 6 months designing and 6 months building is no problem. No rush. I played with Google SketchUp last night. It may work fine and its free.

M