Ca reactor adjustment

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by reef_guru, Dec 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

EDIT:

some of you are getting it and some of you are not getting it.
    heres a different way to look at it.
    the refugium, skimmer, controllers, air stones, second chambers and all other items other than whats listed are not part of this equation.

in order to ask the question here are the elements involved:
    the effluents pH is to be set at 6.8
    the main tanks pH level during the day is 8.3
    the main tanks pH level during the night is 8.0.
    day is when the main tank lights are on.
    night is when the main tank lights are off.

option 1, day:
    setting up the effluents pH during the day when the main tanks pH is at its highest level.
    this option will have the main tanks water going into the reactor at a pH of 8.3 and the effluent set at a pH of 6.8

option 2, night:

setting up the effluents pH during the night when the main tanks pH is at its lowest level.
    this option will have the main tanks water going into the reactor at a pH of 8.0 and the effluent set at a pH of 6.8

with that said, which option would you pick?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Neither, mine runs the same all day. All make up water goes through Limewater before it enters the tank so pH will go up in the day and down at night, but not by much with the fuge running a reverse light cycle.

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

my effluent line dumps into a cup positioned in my fuge, so the lower ph water gets diffused a bit by some ARM media at the bottom of the cup and the controller probe is in that cup as well, this is how Tangster told me to set it up and so far when my ca reactor has worked breifly it functioned pretty well and didn't cause any drastic swings in my tanks PH

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

EDIT:

some of you are getting it and some of you are not getting it.
    heres a different way to look at it.
    the refugium, skimmer, controllers, air stones, second chambers and all other items other than whats listed are not part of this equation.

in order to ask the question here are the elements involved:
    the effluents pH is to be set at 6.8
    the main tanks pH level during the day is 8.3
    the main tanks pH level during the night is 8.0.
    day is when the main tank lights are on.
    night is when the main tank lights are off.

option 1, day:
    setting up the effluents pH during the day when the main tanks pH is at its highest level.
    this option will have the main tanks water going into the reactor at a pH of 8.3 and the effluent set at a pH of 6.8

option 2, night:

setting up the effluents pH during the night when the main tanks pH is at its lowest level.
    this option will have the main tanks water going into the reactor at a pH of 8.0 and the effluent set at a pH of 6.8

with that said, which option would you pick?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  6. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

all the time, I never turn my ca reactor off, it has a controller that is monitoring the PH inside the chamber when it gets to a certain point it turns the CO2 off and allows the PH to come back up a little bit

7. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

Thinking night, but it shouldn't matter if you are using a PH Controller. Is the concern about the not melting your reactor media? I run my top off using Kalk so my PH is balanced by my top off.

8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

if I had to pick day or night to run my calc reactor I'd say day when the PH is naturally the highest but your much better to run it on a 24hr cycle with a controller running the co2 regulator

10. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Many Ca Reactors do not come with a provision to monitor the internal pH of the reactor and use that value to optimally control the CO2, so my CO2 controller is set to monitor tank pH, so that - should the night time drop in the tank's pH reach the set point (8.0 was my level of comfort), I shut off the CO2. Other wise the system runs 24x7.

With dngspot's post: http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/how-build-calcium-reactor-probe-holder-bulkhead-55140.html, I plan to add a pH probe to the reaction chamber and control CO2 to maintain pH in the reaction chamber to 6.3. There will still be a secondary shut off should tank pH drop below 8.0....

11. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I run a controller and a fuge on a reverse cycle. My pH never swings over .8 during 24 hours unless I've been in the fuge messing around.

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

My Ca reactor runs effluent 24/7. Mine comes out of the reactor at 6.7 and then heads to another chamber that is full of media too. It then dispenses in a hang on container that has two air stones in it to help blow off the CO2 before returning to the tank water.