bye bye ich

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by bsweezy, Aug 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bsweezy

bsweezy Skunk Shrimp

well i added a powder blue tang about 3 weeks ago. he came down with ich. ive never had a ich problem in this tank. so it passed to my yellow and blue tangs(i thought i was going to loose my mind). so on friday i went and got a u.v. sterilizer 18w and a 600gph maxi jet to power it( total i payed $200.00). it is now sunday and no ich the fish seem normal and no rubbing on rock/sand. i know it is early to say that it is over but wow!!!!! ill keep this thread updated on my fish over the next few weeks. also my water is clearer that ever. i have been soaking their food is garlic extract.;D:);D:)

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

hey bsweezy

great reading and thus far good news
    hope it stays that way

cool

Steve

4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Well......I am curious, since the ick on the fish are embedded in their skin, I do not see how a sterilizer could rid them from the fish. My take is that the fishes immune systems were able to rid the ick and then the sterilizer could have killed it if/when the water containing the ick passed through the sterilizer.

5. bsweezy

bsweezy Skunk Shrimp

well ich lives on the skin of the fish for a few weeks then it falls to the sand where it reproduces and then finds a new host( in short). so if i added the u.v. at the end of the host cycle (by chance) then in the stage when the ich is water borne then the u.v. will kill them. it my take a few cycles to rid my tank of ich (idk) but im keeping my water very stable and feeding well. also not adding any more fish for a long while. so ill post my progress over the next few weeks. here is a link with some great info read the part about u.v.IchArtMar

6. bsweezy

bsweezy Skunk Shrimp

thanks steve !! im glad to see you as a mod. congrats!!!!:)