Bye bye bio balls!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by ryanwolf, Jun 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

I am removing my bioballs and replacing them in the sump with live rock from the main tank. My question is do I stack large pieces or little ones?? And is is ok that most of the rock will not be covered with water? Water will pass through the filter pad and then the drop tray first evenly streaming water down to exposed rocks where only the bottom layer will be underwater

Ps. Coral place said it's ok to remove all bioballs at once by shutting off all pumps cleaning and replacing water in sump with fresh water change... Sound right?! My nitrate is 10-20ppm

Thanks! Ryan

2. Click Here!

3. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

Not 100% sure, but removing them all is taking a lot of your bio filter with it, might cause a spike. But then again I have been wrong before. ;)

4. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

I removed all of mine along with the filter pads and didn't get a spike but I've spoken with several people who did experience a spike of some sort.

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I removed them in thirds--1/3 every week with no mini-cycle whatsoever! I did not put anything in their place-I had enough rock in the dt. I love it cause it freed up my sump. I changed from that stupid filter tray, to easy to change filter socks.

6. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

What about cleaning the sump? Should it be drained and cleaned with new saltwater? If yes how often should this be done anyway? If ever?

7. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I never clean it!

8. Click Here!

9. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

umm whats the point of switching bioballs for lr
    are you planning a fuge or what?

10. ryanwolf

ryanwolf Skunk Shrimp

no to fuge. Bioballs allegedly collect nitrates. I'm at 10-20ppm. Trying to get them lowered.

11. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

What part of Texas are you from???

12. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

Well the thing is bio balls are meant to serve the same purpose as live rock so basically they do the same thing (creating surface area for beneficial bacteria) unless you add something like cheato or caulpera.
    and even though it might seem like less things would get caught on the Lr you replaced the bio balls with, things still get caught on Lr and will be turned into nitrates, about the same amount if you used lr rubble and less if you used larger pieces.
    10-20ppm nitrates isn't that bad though