Buying live rock online

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by BioNemo, Mar 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BioNemo

BioNemo Astrea Snail

Just being a newbie and not wanting to add anything harmful to my tank so is this decent live rock and do I need to anything to it before adding it to my tank like quarantining it?

L-MANADO-CU Premium Aquatics - L-MANADO-CU Aquarium Supplies

I like that it has lot's of holes and places to add corals to it.

Thank you

2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I'd just use dry rock, it'll become live soon enough and is a TON cheaper. Look into reefrocks.net, marcorocks.com or BRS.com for their pukani. No worries this way

But yes, if you order this, after shipping, you'll need to cycle it before adding it to your tank.

4. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

im sure that rock is fine, but I wouldnt buy all live rock. Id go Dry rock first and just add a piece of live to seed the dry rock.

I like marcos rocks

MarcoRocks Aquarium Products

5. emoney

emoney Plankton

+2 on marco rocks..great stuff and great price!

6. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

If you are concerned about adding what some people would consider harmful hitch hikers, stick to the dry rock. If you like the idea of seeing what interesting animals might come on the live rock and can afford it, take a chance and get the live. My favorite part of setting up my tank was checking out the tank at night and seeing what animals were out that I had never seen before. However, it is a risk.

7. reefnJeff

reefnJeff Pajama Cardinal

I think it's worth the risk of getting the wanted hitchikers vs unwanted, I got some really neat stuff that I still have in my tank that came with my live rock. I also got some unwanted, but that was taken care off. What makes it exciting is you never know what you're going to get and things show up months later.

8. Click Here!

9. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Is your tank already cycled?

If so then you'll need to cure the rock before adding. Although it's sold as "cured", I'd expect some die-off during shipping.

If not, then you can add the rock and let it cure during the cycle.

10. Chris!

Chris! Banned

+1, either way adding this "live" rock without pre-curing it will generally atleast cause a mini-cycle from the die off that will happen during the shipping process.

11. jstegall

jstegall Astrea Snail

+1 for dry rock and seeding with live. I ordered 100lbs of dry rock from John at Reef Cleaners, and I was really happy with what he sent. When I ordered I added a note saying it was a new tank without any current rock, and he even threw in some pieces that were cut flat to sit directly on the bottom of the tank. Don't know if that's normal but it was appreciated. I used them where the rock touches the glass and a little epoxy on the upper rocks, everything turned out really stable.

My live rock to seed I picked up from Live Rock N Reef, I am very happy with it also, but I'm also close enough to their retail store that I didn't have to have it shipped, and I was able to go through their holding tank to find the piece I wanted.