Buying Clean Up crews (bay area esp)

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Glipzcom, Dec 30, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Glipzcom

Glipzcom Flamingo Tongue

So I went to some of the stores localy looking for hermits and snails. I first went online and narrowed my list of desired species.

Had it down to:
    Red Legged Hermits
    Scarlet Hermits
    dwarf zebra/hawaiian reef

Was thinking about the blue legged but there seemed to be lots of warnings about him.

Snails I wanted:

Astraea
    Nerita picea
    Nassarius

Wanted to avoid Turbos because everyone says they knock over rocks.
    And Margaretia's people say are cold water and would die.

So sound like a good selection?

Now off to the stores I go.
    First store I go in out in Alemeda Amazon Aquariums has these little poorly labled chambers and there are just piles of shells in there and nothing is moving. I cant tell if its supposed to be hermits or snails. The guy doesnt seem to be intersted.

So I go to Aquarium Concepts down in Hayward. I go here because they are big bright and seemingly well stocked.
    One of the little pods labled red legged is a bunch of shells piles of legs and claws and one or 2 hermits fully receeded into their shells.
    In another chamber I see what seems to be the only blue legged hermit they had. And I was about to say well maybe i will just buy him take him home and let him have a tank.

But what was he eatting?
    OH yeah the only thing they put in the chamber with him a bunch of little snails. Him and the one other crab in there seemed to just be walking over the tops of snails and feasting on them. Something tells me that guy was dammaged goods and would never socialize well with other crabs.

Oh and they had this big old tank that seemed like a great place for all the snails and crabs to be living and feasting on algae. Turns out it was just Margaretia snails which supposedly die in most reef aquariums because of the temperature!

So I dont know is there any LFS that dont feel shady? I would think living in the San Fran Bay area there has to be some stores that people trust?

Ordering cleanup crews online seems like a joke because I dont need that many little guys. I was told one crab per 5-10 gallons. So buying 30 dollars worth of snails and crabs just to pay 40 in shipping seems absurd.

How does anyone do it?

OK now that im done with my rant. I am going to try again today and drive out and see if I cant find a decent LFS :(

Glen.

2. Click Here!

3. hitman35

hitman35 Purple Spiny Lobster

hey man I to live bay area if your willing to drive a little check out 6th st aquarium down of 6th and clement I here they have a pretty huge selection of nice livestock.Also take a trip out to concord and check out all about fish on will pass road. Or out here in my area in antiohc very nice place named exotic aquatics on sommersville road.I purchased my cleaner pack from there.

4. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

Hi,

I'll gladly support Aquarium Concepts in Hayward. Ken has a great shop there and most of his staff is very well educated. They are well known, so their cleaner crew selsction might be low. Best time to go there is on Tuesday when they get their shipments. Another place that ALWAYS has an abundance of cleaners is All About Fish in Pleasant Hill. If you go there I'd ask for Jason. He's a nice guy that will not sell you crap.
    Final thing I'll throw in is about your Turbo idea. Yes, Turbos are strong and can get quite large. Large enough to move unsecure rocks. But, hermit crabs can do the same thing. Buy some coral adhesive (the paste kind) and use just a little to help hold the pieces in place. You don't need to "lock" them down. Just add enough static friction so a snail, crab or even a fish wake won't move them too easily. The adhesive can always be scrapped off later.

5. hitman35

also aqua trader I know there equipment sucks but they get tons of live stock if you can catch em on a shipment day might be to your advantage really good prices they order in bulk. But I wouldnt suggest buying anyting thats been there for a while there tank conditions arent all that great but they distribute to a lot of pet stores they have a huge amount of livestock

6. Glipzcom

Glipzcom Flamingo Tongue

cool guys. Havent been to any of those places. Yeah aquarium concepts is a nice store. But your right its busy a lot so I think its hard to get a good selection.

I just went to Octapus's Garden in Berkley and found 2 red legs and some snails. But i only got a couple because the guy didnt seem like he was in the mood to help me.

But who knows could have been a bad day.

7. hitman35

if your up for the drive may I suggest exotic aquatics in antioch on sommersville road in the same center as radio shack.Thats where I bought my cleaner back and they have a very nice selection.They have lots of snails of different types as well as crabs.

8. Click Here!

9. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

Not sure about how far you are from Sacramento but when I was in Davis over the summer I drove down there to check it out, seemed like a pretty cool place. Have you checked out bumble bee snails I have six of them in my tank and they are little work horses and live for a long time.