button polyps not opening

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Marie0912, Apr 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marie0912

Marie0912 Fire Shrimp

Hello everybody,
    I bought a button polyps and a xenia frag 3 days ago, the xenia melted the next day and the button polyps are closed and look a little on the sad side:-[.

My tank is 120 gallon has been running for 3 months tested my params before buying and they where good. now today they are
    ph 8.2
    ammonia 0
    no2 0
    no3 0
    ca 520 ( it's high today and don't know why)
    PO .25
    KH 8 dkh
    temp 79
    salanity 1.025

What won't it open?
    My lights are the actinic white and super actinic t12 vho, the coral are placed at the top of my rocks wich is half way up.
    I filled up my tank with tap water has not done a water change yet(was open to get the bacteria well establish). Installing my RO/DI unit today and the salt that i am using is Deep ocean sea salt ( thinking of switching to reef crystal).

I have 2 clownfish that are healthy and had a cleaner shrimp that just died yesterday and i had him for one month don't know what happen any thought I was really sad:-[.

I am just trying to figure out what 's happening and if my button polyps are just acclimating.

Thanks for any help

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Did you dechlorinate the tap water before you used it or just straight tap?

Your phosphates are too high and are likely from the tap water.

Not sure on those lights... they might be too high up and need to light acclimate...

Try moving them down and look into getting some form of phosphate removing solution.

4. Marie0912

Marie0912 Fire Shrimp

That's what I thought about the phosphate it's probably my water but will soon to be switch over to RO/DI water.

What did you think of my CA 520 is'nt high a little and why? Could it be the salt i am using?

What I understand of those light is that they are the old style and they are not has good has t5 so my lfs told me it would by better at the top. But i am willing to try lowering the coral and see.

What do you think happen to my xenia it just melted the next day?

5. Marie0912

Marie0912 Fire Shrimp

hello? Any other thought?

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Xenia are hit and miss, probably did not like the phosphate level, lower the polyps and give them time to acclimate, it can take up to a week.