Butterfly becoming dark...

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Guest, Feb 28, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

You should keep a close watch on your fish in the tank, it now has ich in there and you will need to take care of that before you get any more fish.

Just my thoughts on it.

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Mr. G -

Unconfuse please - :-/

Was my impression that ICH is common to all tanks. - but good husbandry practices, water quality, healthy fish, preventors (cleaner shrimp, wrasses, etc) keep it at bay.

Introducing a sick fish - already at great risk - may be a death sentence to others.

Any LFS knowingly selling a "sick" fish, to a new hobbiest, should be sued for "malpractice" and "gross negligence" - (or just "shot" >:( )

& also, don't most of you guys "treat" incoming fish with copper or something before resellig? - I know my lfs does, and states so very clearly, so there is no mistake made by purchaser of mixing any of his water in home tank.

I know there is no better way to prevent then to quaranteen. But the logistics of running two tanks seems overwhelming to a new Reef Keeper, who has probably spent his last dime (and then some) on setting up his new creation.

"ICH" is something I live in great fear of. I check each of my fish daily for any sign of. A little sand stuck to sides of one of my gobies sent me hyper till I determined was more likly he had "playing" in some "snail slime" and those "white spots" were really just argonite. whew.

Anyway - I "greave" greatly over any "loss" - as in the end there is no one to blame but myself. Have been lucky to have had only a couple, and am pretty certain of reasons "why" now. But will probably have to be "hospitlized" myself if I ever experience a major "dieoff" .

At this point, will certainly never introduce a new fish without a good long watch over in a seperate tank.

Rgds,

OmarD

4. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

Ok first all of this is great info. Now my 2 cents, how do we know it was ick? Did the lfs or anyone here examine the fish? Something a lot of newbies don't understand is STRESS white dots are common on on some species especially tangs when under duress I have seen Naso and hepatus look polka dotted from stress.  Also we are diagnosing a problem without all the facts when did spots appear, what medication, what are the other inhabitants, what acclimation, what tank size and why the purchase of a butterfly in a 3 month old already stocked tank?  Another sign of stress versus Ick color change and the change back after death. If I follow the time line correctly the fish was bought ( how much does the shopper know about caring for the fish), brought home (spots discovered), Medicated (unknown type), Died and disposed of in a matter of a day or so ( actually as the post was being written?!?!) Butterflies are hard enough to keep and raise by people who know them what was the diet? how did it react in the tank at the store and then after release from the bag? did the tank-mates accept or harass? Please give me some more answers before I condemn a lfs, or you or whoever. I do know of a ton of not good lfs but I also know a ton that are good. What info did you give the lfs did they know it was a new tank, The inhabitants, the water qualities and that you knew nothing of butterflies?

5. Scuba

Scuba Fire Shrimp

I learned something new, thanks.

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

best thing to do is take a good look at the fish before you buy it. look for good color, frayed fins, odd markings. See if it looks skinny or a healthy weight ask to see it eat and ask how long its been in the tank. Some places do quarenteen fish before selling others will thow it in the tank after arrival and sell it the same day. dont be afraid to ask ??? to get a good fish