But i need some tds!

Discussion in 'Air, Water & Ice' started by trelane, Dec 12, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

(might be OT for 3reef, but on-topic for RO/DI, and I like 3reef's sponsors!;D)

Last week I read an article about TDS in the local water, and what those TDS are made up of, then I compounded this mistake by reviewing the research behind the article... and have been hiding under the bed since. YIKES! What moron said this stuff is safe to drink! EEP!

Anyway, when I'm not entertaining my fish (I think they watch me as much as I watch them), I'm baking, so I need some beneficial TDS after removing the garbage in my water (chloroform, arsenic, and cyanide were the ones I was familiar with, the others, less pronounceable, probably make those tame by comparison).
    Bakers are best off with slightly acidic water, and 50-150TDS (though we'd like to avoid poison in achieving the TDS). So once I remove the garbage, are there products out there that can add small amounts of beneficial TDS in a controllable manner, and maybe some citric acid for PH?

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Unless you use a whole house RO unit you will find drinking water is loaded with TDS, some good some not so good – then it’s a matter of where you live and what kind of water you get (city vs. well). Principally the TDS of drinking water are comprised of inorganic salts; potassium, sodium, magnesium, calcium, sulfates, bicarbonates and chlorides – and small amounts of organic matter.

We put most of the TDS in the water ourselves, urban run-off, sewage, building material etc and of course natural factors.

TDS in drinking water are not considered to be health hazards. The more TDS in water the more that taste may be effected.

I have well water that changes with the weather – so I have a whole house RO unit with an in line TDS meter. I change the filters every 6 months or so.

4. trelane

OK, this is useful, these are the sorts of things I'd want in the water, how do I put these back in after getting the garbage out?

5. Crimson Ghost

You don't - install a good quality whole house RO unit and be done with it - elements such as these come from food - you don't need it from your drinking water

6. trelane

right but in this case, I'm trying to feed yeast (I'm baking said food with this water). I'm not concerned with some sort of mineral deficiency in my diet, but with making better bread.

7. Crimson Ghost

Yeast utilizes two things and only two things (that I know of) warmth and sugar. no minerals

8. Click Here!

9. trelane

right but there's an obvious source of every one of those elemental salts... SALT WATER (sea salt). I can just take what's left and add 100ppm of sea salt.

10. Crimson Ghost

Well you’re the baker not me. But I do make pizza dough – I use my whole house RO water, add salt and sugar and let the yeast rise for 10 minutes before adding oil and flour. Seems to work fine for me.

11. trelane

It's a bit more complex than this, and providing the correct environment makes a huge difference for both yeast, and preferments. This is why people swear bagels taste better in New York, sourdough in San Fran. Also yeast likes a slightly acidic environment. Anyway I think I've figured out my answer. Now to do lots of nasty math.

Ooh and buy a RODI unit!