BURSTS OF AIR

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Midnight_Madman, Nov 19, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

My mag 7 return pump keeps busrting air into the tank once and a while. The water level is about 6" above the pump..
    I noticed if i take the pvc pipe and shake it, it gets a burst of air also... what is that? can air get traped in the pump?
    HELP!

2. Click Here!

3. SpngBob

SpngBob Astrea Snail

I was about to ask the same question except just a normal powerhead.. If there was air in it to begin with I'd think it would have all been blown out by now

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I get that as well. Mine is cause by small occasional bubbles being made at the last baffle overflow right at my return pump. The impellar chops it up good and spits out small bubble in my tank.

I put a sponge at the overflow point to slow down the cascade a bit and that seems to have helped. You could also put a sponge on the return pump. Most come with one. However, they need to be rinsed out once or twice a week to keep detrius from building up and decaying in the system.

Hope that helps...... :)

5. Midnight_Madman

Im talking about large bursts.. all coming out at once.

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Are there any elbows in the plumbing that might trap air?? Hmmm, I never really heard that.....there shouldn't be air trapped in the plumbing?

Perhaps there is a leaky joint that is drawing air into it? Like a venturi??? I don't really know...just typing out loud....

7. Ice

Ice Astrea Snail

i had the same thing happen to me, there where large regular bursts of bubbles couldn't figure it out, in the end i resealed all the connections. pumps have a lot of power so it might be drawing air that you're not aware of

hope this helps

peter

8. Click Here!

9. Midnight_Madman

Hmm.. I thought it would have a trickle leak if there was any unsealed parts? I do have a union on it, that I am suspecting.

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I would think you would have at least salt creep if there was a leak , too, but I didn't have any other thoughts :-/ :-/ :-/ :p :p so I was just throwing some thoughts out there! ;D

For some reason , in this hobby, there are always exceptions to all the rules!!!!!