Bumpy Powder Blue Tang

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by mastamind360, Jan 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mastamind360

mastamind360 Astrea Snail

Hello All,

I am new to the place, but I have a question I am hoping that someone will be able to help me out with.

I recently purchased Powder Blue Tang. He is about 4-5 inches long, and was doing really well in my QT tank. Two days ago I moved him into my main display. He seemed to be doing really well at first. He was very active, had even breathing, and was eating just fine. I did note that he had a bump on his side (NOT ICH AND NOT MARINE VELVET) it looked like a misquito bite, and was the same color as the rest of him. The next day the spot was a bit darker (brownish), but looked like he has been bitten by something (I assume it was from the fight he had with my yellow tang the first day he was in the tank (I moved the yellow into a different tank now).

Anyway my question is that now the fish seems to be COVERED with these bumps (again they are not white or black they are the color of the fish and are a little smaller than this --> :-[. I have a feeling it is malnutrition, but this is a complete stab in the dark. He recieves flakes, pellets, frozen stuff, and nori. (He is not interested in the nori but i put it in just in case he changes his mind...) ALSO his side fins look a little funky. Kinda like there are air bubbles on them...

I keep my salinity low (1.016) to keep out the ich and velvet. And I recently treated the whole tank with kick ich and rally reaf (reef safe), and switched to a sump filter.

I hope you all can help me out.

2. Click Here!

3. Jace

Jace Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Well first question is can you post some pics? i dont know alot about fish but thats awfully low it should be about 1.023 but its even higher in the ocean.. Like i said i dont know alot about fish but it could be the salinity.. But post some pics because theres alot of smart people here that could diagnose it with a picture.

4. mastamind360

mastamind360 Astrea Snail

i know its low, but it dosnt hurt them. it keeps algea growth low, and osmosis high. i cant post pics, because the fish looks perfectly healthy in pics. just bumpy... u cant seem them in a picture