Bulkheads with no gasket?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by jmann124, Aug 14, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

I have a few bulkheads that push the gasket out and over the bulkhead when I tighten the bulkhead up. Can you install bulkheads without gasket and maybe just silicone the crap out of them? Or, does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried different sizes and thicknesses of gasket, with and without silicone, with no luck. I'm about at my wit's end. This is the last thing I have to do to stop a leak in the plumbing, if that's even where the leak is. It is very likely that the leak is in the plumbing though. Any suggestions?

2. Click Here!

3. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

with gaskets just tighten maby 1 turn once it gets tight if it pushes out and over like that its to tight.

1 person likes this.
  4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Yeah, sounds to me you're over-tightening them. Using anything but the gasket (or anything in addition to) and you're likely to develop a leak.

1 person likes this.
  5. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

I clean up around the hole on both sides, then hand tighten. If it leaks, then a small coat of silicone around the outside will work.

1 person likes this.
  6. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Agreed...adding RTV silicone around the outside of a leaking gasket will only put a "band aid" on the real issue.

Sometimes, just loosening the nut and spinning/wiggling the gasket will help. If you like, you can use a small amount of silicone o-ring grease on the gasket prior to installation.

1 person likes this.
  7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Read my Bulkhead Installation Tips sticky post here on 3 Reef, it should answer all your questions and then some.