Bulkhead Leaks

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Ballgame, Jul 3, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

2. Click Here!

3. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Darn posted before I could add comments

Here
    Finally have my 90g full of water and plumbing done. I waited to turn it on until I had time in case issues.
    Bulkhead is leaking. I loosened the nut and re tightened. Still leaks. The rubber washer is in the tank side of this. What else can I do? I have the plumbers tape that stretches. Usually put it on the threads before putting nut on.
    Any idea.
    Here is a pic. Doesn't help much.

4. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

The glass has to be spotless where the rubber seal sits. Your best bet is to take the bulk head out completely clean the glass scrape with a razor. Then reattach. Don't put silicone or anything on it. Just make sure the rubber seal and glass is spotless then hand tighten.

5. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Thanks. It's leaking bad so also seems like the seal is off. Rubber washer should be on inside right? Anything I can do for the nut below? It's a constant trickle.

6. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Do they make bigger washers? Because honesty this seems thin. image.jpg

7. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I've had several bad bulkheads. My plumbing doesn't have support so over time hairline cracks appear in the threaded area. It's usually not a case of leaking at the washer area.
    I always keep a couple extra just in case. Also I try to be very careful not to over tighten the nut and/or the threaded plumbing going in the bulkhead. They're just made very cheap. I would go schedule 80 but they won't fit unless I down size which I may do at some point.
    Be very careful when tightening untightening unions. ..don't let the plumbing twist. Best to use two strap wrenches and use the wrenches opposing each other so the plumbing doesn't move.

Ballgame likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Not sure what the issue. Will see if can get a thicker washer at Home Depot. Maybe my cupling is bad.

10. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Could my problem be that coupling is screwed onto bulkhead? Can you screw onto bulkhead. It's threaded after all.

11. Likeajeenyus

Likeajeenyus Bristle Worm

Where, EXACTLY, is the water coming from? The gasket and the nut on the bottom side OR from the threads of the actual union?

All of my connections are always on the inside whether it be threaded or slip.

I have experience with many different sizes of bulkheads. I have only found one size, which I forgot, I was able to adapt the outside to a common PVC fitting on the bulkhead. And guess what... It leaked. I don't know if they are designed to be used in this manner. Im pretty sure thats why you chose them slip, threaded, or combo for your connection points and not to be adapted OD.

I would try the way I mentioned.

12. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

Ok thanks.
    If I shouldn't thread the coupling then this changes my plumbing setup. Il have to think of a new way to connect to bulkhead.