Bulkhead is Leaking

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by BioFreak, Nov 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

Finally got my new tank. Setup all the plumbing and sump/refuge system. Filled the tank today and one of of my bulkheads is leaking cant seem to get it much tighter, any thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. O Banks

O Banks Plankton

Make sure that the flange isnt cracked, also make sure that the gasket isnt on top of a silicon edge. Bulkheads dont need to be tighten that much to seal. Normally hand tight plus a 1/4 inch turn with an pair of channel locks is all thats needed.

4. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Good point. Also make sure that the rubber ring is in place or not worn out.

5. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

Thanks I will double check it when I get home from work. Its a brand new Bulkhead so gasket and everything are fine but they did re-silicon the tank for me so I may need to trim some out of the way.

6. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

this is what happened with my tank, both bulk heads cracked from being over tightened. couldn't figure it out, just thought something was wrong with them so bought two new ones. after removing it a hairline crack could be seen. they really do crack easy.

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

8. Click Here!

9. ricoop

ricoop Skunk Shrimp

One mistake alot of people make is that they put the gasket on the outside of the tank instead of inside. Had a buddy call me because he couldn't get one to stop leaking. I went over to help him out and discovered the gasket was outside.

10. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

Thanks All, Problem has been solved. The stand was made poorly, the holes for the overflows and bulksheads are so small I couldn't get my channels locks effectively around the bulkhead. I had to do a quick move from my old tank into the new one do to lack of space in my house. Otherwise I would have attached the bulkheads prior to filling the tank and then placed it on the stand with bulkheads all ready on. So, I had fun spending all day yesterday inside of the stand laying sitting, crampped up in wierd positions just so a could get a good grip on the bulkhead with the channel locks. Found my bulkheads weren't tightened down. Once I solved that I found a few of my plumbing pipes were leaking as they didn't seal correctly with the cement. so I re cemented the entire thins and everything appears to be fine now. I will fill up my sump and fuge today and them place the last 30-40 gallons in my tank so I can see how effectively mysetup is working. Wish me luck. I will be updating my new tank thread soon with picks of the setup. All I need now is about 100lbs of rock to finsih my aquascape.

11. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Glad the problem is solved i put silicone on my to seal them up along with the rubber gasket.

12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Silicone is not advised. Clean and dry so the rubber "vulcanizes" to the surfaces.