Bulkhead/Fuge issue

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by blackraven1425, Aug 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I just installed my fuge. The bulkhead is leaking. I have a few questions about it.

Can the bulkhead be installed backwards? I'm talking with the nut towards the inside. The gasket is on the inside, too.

How tight should I make it? As tight as it goes by hand?

2. Click Here!

3. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Gasket should be on the inside... nut on the outside.

Firm hand tight, don't crank it.

M

PS -- Assuming you have the same kind of bulkhead I do.

4. blackraven1425

I have a glass-holes bulkhead. Gasket is currently inside, nut is also inside. Otherwise, I'm hitting space limitations for plumbing, and the fuge will be over the edge of the bottom of the stand.

I tightened as firm as I could by hand.

5. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Okay... since you are space limited... put the gasket outside and nut inside.

THe point is that you want the flat lip pressing the gasket against the glass. The nut is just for compression. You don't want the gasket against the nut because the twisting of the nut puts the gasket in a twist as well.

That should work.

M

PS -- I have seen folks put down some silicone on both side of bulkheads and compress into that as a extra precaution. Shouldn't be necessary, but I've seen it done.

1 person likes this.
  6. blackraven1425

Alright, I'll try with the gasket on the outside then.

It would suck if I had to silicone it though. The whole thing is hooked up, and has the algae in it already lol.

7. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Just make sure you leak check frequently in the first day or so...

M

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

No dice. Still getting the slow leak, even with the gasket on the outside. :cry:

Any way I could seal this hole up, so I can run a return out the top of the fuge instead?

10. Nannook

Nannook Astrea Snail

They also make a Teflon tape paste. Goop on threads and both sides of gasket. I inherited a bulkhead nut wrench. Just a cheap H-shaped pressed steel. Two different sized nuts serviced. Like a big short open end. You have no leverage, but more than hand tight. With 3/8 or half inch glass you are not going to get too much torque. I would not try with a thin glass tank. Full already huh? How many 5 gal buckets do you have?

11. blackraven1425

It's not really "full". I just moved the chaeto and mangroves out of the DT. I can keep the bottoms of the mangroves and the chaeto submerged, while the bulkhead is still above the waterline. I just really wanted this done tonight. This fuge has been the neverending project.

The fuge is acrylic, probably 1/4 or 3/8ths, not sure.

12. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I'd goop it up with some aquarium safe glue and tighten it up and let it dry. You really want it drilled... not an overflow...

Good Luck
    M