bulging eye, containing blood

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Nazcar, Sep 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nazcar

Nazcar Plankton

Our fish has a bulging eye problem, the right eye is filling with blood, the scales are fine and everything else seems to be ok, is this most likely dropsy or pop eye? What should I do?

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

quarintine the fish asap, and begin a treatment of antibiotics. i don't know what it is but this is a good step until we figure out what it is

4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Sounds like Pop eye. As stated above, if you can catch the fish quaratine and antibiotics.
    I believe Pop eye to be TB for fish.
    Chances are tho, you wont be able to save it. What type of fish is it?

5. Nazcar

Nazcar Plankton

It's a Lionhead. My daughter cleaned the aquarium the other day, I wonder if she injured it when she moved it from the aquarium to the small tank we use when we need to move Fluffy from his home?

6. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

Yeh thats probably it. Drop some melafix in the water to aid the healing process!

7. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

If its Popeye the best course is to leave it alone and it will heal. But with the blood in it it sounds more like an injury. I personally would leave it alone because medicating when you don't know what it is can be dangerous. See this thread for more info...

8. Click Here!

9. Nazcar

Nazcar Plankton

Thank you everyone, I honestly think it is an injury as well. The other eye seems fine. He's eating fine and all that too.