Bulb recommendations

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Turtles, Jun 9, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Turtles

Turtles Astrea Snail

I have light fixture with 2x250 halides (Phoenix 14K's) with quad T5 actinics. I'm looking to get replacement T5 bulbs, just wondering opinions on combinations. someone recommended 4 ATI blue plus, but I was wondering if 2 blue plus and 2 purple plus would be better?

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I have a mix of 1 blue plus, 1 purple plus, 1 coral plus, 1 aquablue special and really like the combination. But i don't have Halides with it so that may make a difference.

4. Pete polyp

Pete polyp Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Since your only wanting actinic supplement I would recommend pure actinic and blue plus.

DSC reef likes this.
  5. Turtles

Turtles Astrea Snail

I had this same combination in just a quad-T5 setup, but i figured with the halides in this, it would be better with more blue

6. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Go with all Blue Plus.

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I run the same fixture. Personally I think all blue plus will be to much blue. I run 3 pure actinic and 1 Blue plus by ATI. Just the one blue plus stands out alot. I wanted a good actinic spectrum with my radium 20k halides. I had 3 blue plus and 1 actinic before and I'm way happier with the combo I have now. The tank really pops. You don't want to add any whitish bulbs since your halides are supplying that spectrum. Use the T5 for your 420-460 nm actinic spectrum.

Pete polyp, 2in10 and Mr. Bill like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I like this suggestion a lot. All the right reasons plus experience to back it up.

Mr. Bill and DSC reef like this.
  10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I would suggest having a read of the T5 Q&A thread. Just google the subject. Try to stay in the last half of the thread as preferences have shifted away from some bulbs.
    I wish I could show accurate side by side photos of different combos but the camera can't quite pick up the subtleties.

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Agreed. Pics just can't show the real differences. It depends on what your looking for. I wanted less blue but mostly a nice spectrum for our beloved photosynthetic friends.

12. Pete polyp

Pete polyp Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I agree completely with what has been said about the pure actinic. It will definitely give the color pop you're looking for.