building refugium

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by gkw, Jan 10, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

hi, i have a 55gal glass tank that i am gonna use to make a sump/fuge combo. i was gonna use glass for the baffles, but i can't find anything that's thicker than 2.5mm. so, i am just gonna use plexi glass or acrylic from homedepot and use aquarium silicon. is there anything i should know before i go and buy the acrylic sheets?

thanks!
    GKW

2. Click Here!

3. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Dont get plexi... as time goes it can get hard and crack, and get yellowish to. acrylic is the way to go. Thats about it though.

Marc.

4. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

does acrylic bond to aquarium silicon? would the silicon strong enough to hold the acrylic baffles in place? thanks!

5. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

ive used GE type I and type II silicon and they worked great. Plus ive herd allot of people using them in reef tanks. Maybe someone with more experience with silicon can help out though. But yes the silicon will bond with the acrylic and yes it should be string enough.

Marc.

6. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

thanks for the reply and help Marc!

one more question, is the GE silicon better than aquarium silicon?

thanks again!

7. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I never used aquarium silicon so i cant really tell you. Theres probebly someone on here with first hand experience that can tell you. But the GE did the job just fine for me.

Marc.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

thanks Marc! Karma for your help!

GKW

1 person likes this.
  10. Michaelr5

Michaelr5 Coral Banded Shrimp

I have used both aquarium specific sealant and GE. The GE I used was right above the acryic at Home Depot and was supposed to be for acrylic. The long and the short is, both seemed to work equally well. The GE was about 1/2 the price.

Mike