Building own sump

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by omard, Jan 30, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

@Jackets..(&Craig, "thumper", et. al.)

Lets be "Brave" and go for it. Self satisfaction of building own worth the "risks."

Spent much of evening filtering/browsing thru many DIY sites..
    the following two explain (most) everything we need to know. - with the experience we have to draw on here, how can we go wrong? :)

As stated before, one has to learn/master many new skills to fully "wallow" in this "art" of reef keeping. - great excuse to do so.

Got $300 estimate from the local "sump"/"tank" builder I posted about in your thread. Think can do for way less by self - plus will be a "fun" exercise, esp. as I know as little as anyone about cutting, glueing, etc. glass/acrylic/plastic.

Here is best two "how to" "building" links I have come accross:

DIY Glass Aquarium Plans

Everything "Sumps" - GREAT LINKS FROM!

Please post any other known good ones besides those already on forum.

1/4" plexiglass for 40 x 18 x 15 sump (should be thick enough for sump this size/height) ~ ~$150 from local glass shop. - will look for acrylic sources today to compare.

This is going to be fun! - Need to get stand/canopy finished up first - then to work on new sump/refugium. Wife and fish can wait a bit longer. Was never much satisfied with Rubbermaid tub idea anyway. Have come this far, might as well go all the way and do "right"

Thanks to all for inspiration/motivation to do so.

Rds,

OmarD
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

Why not just buy a glass tank and use it as a sump, it will cost much less and dont have to worry about leaks. Then just use plexi glass inside the tank and do the plumbing

4. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Thanks for the links, Omard. I've got a 20gal tank laying around that might work well as a sump. Being new to this I am researching everything I can get my brain around. I have not decided whether to go sumpless with a Jaubert plenum type set-up, or to use a sump. The tank is in a converted garage room with plenty of room under it....decicions, decisions :eek:

I like the concept of having some of the equipment out of sight. Also the fact that cleaning a sump set-up is much easier than dealing with a cleaning an in display tank plenum and skimmer. [smiley=thinking2.gif]

5. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

What do you mean by cleaning a plenum?
    Use a DSB and a skimmer and a sump, along with LR which leads to no vacuuming the DSB.

6. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

What I meant was that the Plenum setup might run into a detritus problem where the sand starts clumping and is difficult to get to. I am using reef tables as the bottom base for my LR structure so there will be a very limited amount LR actually touching the gravel. Sort of like a table with a tripod under it. But I have heard some horror stories about having to remove the LR to do maintenance in the sandbed down to the first layer of screening.

Of course, that is all a moot point if I decide to go with the sump concept. I don't know that much about sumps, yet. But I love that DIY stuff so I know I'll figure it out.

Right now I'm actually looking into building a venturi style skimmer.

How's your salt problem Nautilus?

7. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I meant to ask...anybody out there know if a 20gal glass tank is big enough to use as a sump for an 80gal reef tank? The DIY pages don't say much about size etc....

8. Click Here!

9. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Sure I have an 80 gallon and only use 10 gallon sump. but have a 14 gallon refugium.

It will work for you you just need to leave enough room for the skimmer and return pumps etc...
    Are you also adding a refugium to this 20 gallon ?
    Are you saying you vacuum the DSB? Just get a couple of gobies and crabs and you won't have to do any vacuuming.
    I did not use that salt so no problem.

10. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Believe me, I didn't know what a sump was 4 days ago. I'm getting the idea though. That is why the plenum concept seemed natural to me because I have used undergravel filters in freshwater tanks for years.

I am hoping not to ever have to vacuum anything if I get the sump going right. I am not sure about the refugium concept. Do you reccomend a plenum in the sump? I didn't figure on using anything that would need a lot of light in the sump/refugium.

The hermits, snails etc. will be in abundance once I get this going. I know their necessity and I will not skimp on my Janitors.

You must have used the Oceanic Salt..Huh?

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

I don't use a pkenum on anything.
    UGF will crash you salt tank after a couple of years.
    Use plian arocrete live sand and nothing else. IMO doing the plrnum is a waste of time and effort plus you have to clean it sooner or later. IMO stay away from it.

Your gogy will keep your bed nice and neat.
    Yes I made a batch of oceanic salt and used it.