Building First Fuge

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by gottalikesharks, Aug 1, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gottalikesharks

gottalikesharks Plankton

Hey everybody I am planning to build my first refugium and could use a little help. I will be using a 10 gallon aquarium for the refugium, the main display tank is only a 29 gallon.

My question is on baffle heights, my original plant is to have the water enter on the right side of the fuge, the first baffle and would be 10", the second one will be 1" off of the bottom and up to the top, the third one will be 9-1/2" tall. Next will be the fuge area, then the last baffle at 9" (actually this baffle is going to be 1-1/2" taller with 1/4" wide x 1-1/2" teeth to help keep the cheato in the fuge area).

What do you think about these baffle heights? To tall? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

Thanks, Dave

2. Click Here!

3. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Remember, water runs downhill, so you want your tallest baffle on the inflow side (from DT), and your first BT (bubble trap) baffle should be at least 1" lower that the "inflow" baffle, but 2" is even better, then your final baffle that flows into the pump bay should be even lower. Also remember that the higher your final baffle is, the farther the water will fall and may create bubbles in your pump bay that will be shredded by the pump and end up in the DT as microbubbles.

If you don't build the baffles with decreasing heights, you'll have a static water level in the main part of the sump with no real flow going on, as in order to work, the water level will have to be above the baffles, with no cascading going on.

The center BT baffle is fine the way it's drawn.