Build it your self refugium on ebay

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Reefer Madness, Jan 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefer Madness

Reefer Madness Astrea Snail

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

If you can do this for yourself then I would skip buying this. quote "we provide down pipe, overflow bubble chamber, filter media tray, white filter media pad, biological media chamber w/ top, baffles, one 1" inflow bulkhead, and one 1" outflow bulkhead " end quote All this for only 70 dollars plus shipping.
    I would do it my self, you already have the tank and the plans. Buy your self some silicone and get some glass or plexigas cut at your local hardware store and make it the way you want it. ENJOY ;D

Jim

4. Reefer Madness

Thats the problem i dont think i will be able to set it up my self. I dont know to much about fuges so i was hoping i can get all the stuff i need plus instructions on what it is suppose to look like and i will be good to go..

Your the best Jim you always awnser all of my question thanks a million! :thumbs_up

5. 1sleeper

1sleeper Astrea Snail

I'll help you with a materials list and how to if you want. It is pretty simple really. A table saw helps but it can be done with a circular saw or even a dremel or rotozip. The money you save would buy a tool and you get what you want. Besides, those tanks on ebay are assembly required.

6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  7. Reefer Madness

a material list would be great. I already have a saw that i can use. But what material should i use to divide the tank into different sections? that is easy to cut

8. Click Here!

9. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

1/4" acrylic is all you need. Home Depot or Menards is the spot. Just buy a sheet and cut to fit. Some fish safe silicone and maybe a little Weld-on to join the acrylic to itself is all you need.

10. 1sleeper

1sleeper Astrea Snail

Super easy to cut. I went to Lowes and bought a 24"x48" piece of 1/4" lexan for around $35. It is the "hobby grade". They had a Lexan brand 100% silicone sealant for sheet and other plastics. I read the back and it turns out that it cures in 12 hours, is uv resistant, FDA approved, and bonds glass, metal, pvc, and just about anything else. That is the best start right there. I cut a 11.75" strip (my inside tank dimension) off the top leaving me with a 24x36 piece. Then I ran it through the table saw again to give me a 11.75x36 piece and a 12.25x36 piece for the future top. That gave me about 5 linear feet of 11.75 wide for mics. baffles. Way more than I needed.
    Check ou the sump I made here and let me know what questions you have. I'll check back later. http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/new-fuge-done-running-39055.html#post355311

11. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

If you have access to a router, that also works good. Especially if you want to create some teeth in the baffles.

BTW 1sleeper. Nice DIY fuge.

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Try these baffles they will make it so you can adjust anything you want. I found this stuff at Lowes. Just make sure you measure twice and cut once. I made some test baffles and it worked pretty good. Just wish I would of seen these before I siliconed my into place. My next one will be made with these.;D

1 person likes this.