Bug Tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Mauireefer, Mar 25, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mauireefer

Mauireefer Astrea Snail

I recently got a mandarin in my 10 gallon nano, Ive seen so many pods, but now they dont seem so plentiful, My mandy is huge, she even eats flakes which amazes me, but I want to do a refugium. I was told I can do a seaprate tank as a bug tank really easy..24 light and DSB and water, no circulation, oh and a glass top for minimal evaporation... I was just curious why not add a small HOB filter and just run a separate bug tank/mini reef...I know the lights and sand and water will sustain life, Im kinda scared to start something with no movement at all, I was gonna add an air stone or something, but I really wanted to connect it to my nano, BUT, still confused on how and what to setup...any suggestions will be greatly appreciated..

J

2. Click Here!

3. Mauireefer

Mauireefer Astrea Snail

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

On a ten nano that is a challenge. I saw someone on RC who turned a Tetratec filter into a ATS style refugium with a light. That was pretty cool.

This might be overkill but what about the smallest Aquafuge? It's 12x4x12.

[​IMG]

Other than that, maybe any cheap hang on the back filter and put a pc light over it. Or make something with a 5 gallon tank.

:-/

5. Mauireefer

Mauireefer Astrea Snail

thanks for the advice, I did see that thread somewhere, and I saw one they did with an Aquaclear 200, I do have a 500, and was ccurious if it would be too big, I know I would have to restrict the flowbut thats what I need to figure out...Honestly, I may just not use the provided pump at all, and just add a small Maxi jet or fountain pump to the aqaurium so it pumps at a slow rate...only using pretty much the housing...Oooh thats a great idea,,a DIY refugium for tanks thats are smaller...I think I got smoething here..LOL serioulsy I know you can buy the replacement housing/body of any power HOB filter cheap, So Ill end up doing that and reporting back on my progress...IM SO EXCITED!!! [smiley=grin3.gif]

Jared

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sounds like a plan. Good luck and post a pic when you are done!