buble tip anemone

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Kimmy Su, Apr 12, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kimmy Su

Kimmy Su Plankton

I just purchased a bubble tip anemone yesterday. I know it's been a day and it needs to acclimate to my tank, but I am still worried... it moved around over night, but now it's upside down in the sand and partially hanging off a rock. Can I move it the right way up or just leave it alone?
    I did water test and everything is where it should be. I've had the tank for around 6 1/2 months now.
    I can't currently show a pic, my transfer won't work at the moment.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

As long as the anemone is not blowing around the tank and is up right I would wait to intervene. You can make an indentation in the sand next to a rock, or you can take wide diameter PVC and place the base/column in the pvc. If the anemone is upright and attached in any way right now I would leave it be and watch.

Welcome to 3reef

4. Kimmy Su

Kimmy Su Plankton

Thanks for the quick reply. It's not blowing around but it's just barely hanging on a rock (in between two). It's still hasn't moved from that place but it does slowly move. Should I move the flow away from it?

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

keep your flow as is - make sure your powerheads are covered or at least away from the anemone and its movement pattern.

6. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

My nem rest/attached vertically to a rock, and has been there for a long time.

Agree with let it be and wait.
    You may try feeding it a pellet or two, some frozen chuck, etc.

Good luck- it seems sometimes they take a while to 'find' their spot.

Welcome to 3Reef Kimmy Su

7. Kimmy Su

Kimmy Su Plankton

Thanks for the welcome guys! and info. I will keep a close eye on the anemone. The power head is higher up in the tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

signs to look out for in an unhappy anemone are the following:

Bleaching
    constant open "mouth"
    weak or no grip at all on the surface its holding onto.

if you current anemone has a closed mouth and is at least partially anchored to a substrate or rock then its not doing all that bad....

alot of us went through the "stressing" period that followed the purchase of our first anemone but youll see with time youll understand this crazy animal better.

you do want to watch out that it does not end in powerhead or skimmer, this happened to me a while back and it caused the death of several of my fish. this is perhaps the ONLY justification to move the anemone yourself in my opinion, i strongly suggest like others mentioned to let it be

10. Kimmy Su

Kimmy Su Plankton

Ok, I will probably be asking a lot of questions...I'm watching my nem, it's now moved behind and under the same rock it was hanging from. It's still upside down and from what I can see it's not attached to anything.
    Still leave it be?
    Sorry if I'm bugging you guys

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'd maybe try Corailline's idea and turn it upright in a piece of pvc .......even though you're tempted try not to handle it too much - just upright it and leave it and continue to observe. Is the mouth closed? Is it sticky to the touch?

12. Kimmy Su

Kimmy Su Plankton

I set the nem up right on a rock. It wasn't sticky to me but it's sticky on the rock. It is not responding like before and the mouth is partially open. Nothing is coming out of it. Do you think it's dying? I didn't see any damage on the nem. What should I do? Didn't think they could die so fast.