bubbles

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by needhelp, Nov 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Ok then so no drilling.... but i had a powerhead setup for several months and it still was spitting out air... even after months of non stop operation and fully submerged so i just dont know what to do anymore.

Marc.

2. Click Here!

3. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Marc,

Do nothing :)

John

4. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I couldn't agree with you anymore John !! Nor will I :D
    If it bothers you that bad take it out in the back yard and shoot it with your pellet gun and then go buy a new one! I'm sure your LFS would appreciate the business. And then if the new one does the same thing, DO NOTHING.
    Have a good day.
    Jim

5. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Dont have a pellet gun but i do have a 12 gauge shot gun. The thing is i would like to leave it alone but i get big air bubbles that get caught under some rocks. The guy at my LFS told me that what ever was stuck in that air bubble would die since there is no contact with water anymore or if a fish decide to investigate and get a big gulp of air... you see where im going. So ill play with it some more to see what i could do.

Thanks all...

Marc.

6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

OK, I apologize for trying to make like of your situation and now that I am taking your question seriously. From a middle aged ex nuclear power naval technician. Cavitation -- The formation and subsequent collapse of bubbles in a pump where the pressure has fallen below the vapor pressure of water. So, it is possible that the suction pressure of your pump is such that it is cavitating slightly and the bubbles are coming out of solution and not totally collapsing to the point where you see some air bubbles blowing out of your power head. Comprendez-Vous?
    It is also possible that if you have a power head like mine and put a sponge on the bottom of it (so critters would not be sucked in to it) it is creating an even lower pressure on the suction side of the pump because the flow is being restricted slightly. This will cause even more bubbles. One of my power heads does the same thing. Try adjusting the flow rate if you can do that with your model of pump and see if that helps. Have a better day.
    Jim

7. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Thanks for the quick lesson on cavitation Jim. :)

That may be it. The powerhead in question is an old, old, old aquaclear 402. I didnt put any sponge on it but i recently added the filter part of it because i lost a clown to it... got stuck in the intake never made it out... was sad.. nemo didnt make it... :'(. Anyways, its not because of the filter im sure because it was spitting out air way before. Im on the verge of replacing them all if these bubbles keeps on going... bought a new one last week and it doesnt seem to be spitting out much air... it does a little but there is allot of air in the water so im assuming that its where its getting it from.

So can a powerhead lose some water flow with age?

Marc.

8. Click Here!

9. needhelp

needhelp Plankton

i just recent change my buttom from crush coral to live sand and now i have a major problem clean the sand up cause the fish **** to much and i cant seem to keep up is there an easy way of clean int the **** up form the sand

10. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

i have run 402's in the past as well. what i found out that through time the impeller will get a little loose and shake which will induce cavatation. maybe the plastic gromet that holds the impeller is worn out.

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hi need help, could you post your question as a new thread, it's gonna get lost in here and take this thread way off topic ;) Put it under "Sand " or "General" I would guess

12. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

i changed the impellor not to long ago... maybe 4 - 5 months so im pretty sure thats not it... but i've been reading articles and reviews on the aquaclear powerhead line and it seem that im not the only one that has problems. So i will replace it thats all.

Thanks..

Marc.