bubbles

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by needhelp, Nov 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. needhelp

needhelp Plankton

im hoping somebody would be able to help out with this i have small bubbles comming out form the both of my powerheads that i place inside the tank that suppose to create water currents

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hello needhelp, and welcome to 3 Reef!

I know this may sound dumb, but, are the powerheads totally submerged? Some have venturi holes in the top that draw in air .....

4. needhelp

needhelp Plankton

first would like to say thank you for replying to my problem and yes i have submerge them into the tank and both of the power head have like airtube in them which i have remove. but trying to resolve the problem in one of the power head i put back on the airtube which came with the product and it was still kicking out small amounts of bubbles every other min or so

5. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

When the pumps work they suck air in via those little tubes, the air goes into the pump which chops up the air and little bubbles appear in the water jet. To stop this from happening you need to either remove the tubes and keep the pumps completely submerged of block of the tube with a clamp or air valve.

John

6. needhelp

needhelp Plankton

thanks john for the advise i would put it to work as soon as i get home

tom

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

No worries Tom, our pleasure :)

BTW, a few bubbles in the tank wont hurt anything, in fact I think it can look quite good, others hate them :)

John

8. Click Here!

9. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

I have the same problem... i know a few bubbles dont hurt but i had bubbles starting to gather up under rocks and making bigger bubbles. And yes my pumps are submerged completely but they still spit out air every 2 minutes or so...

not sure but i think that water infiltrates the pump (where the motor is) and thats how it stays cool so i think thats where the air comes from... either that or the electrical wire ;) so im wondering if i drill a small hole on the top of the pump so that the air will get out completely. just an idea.. what do you guys think???

Thanks

Marc.

10. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I don't know that I would be drilling holes in the housing of something electric that sits in salt water!!! :eek:

11. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

But im prety sure that water already goes in there.... when you forst put the powerhead in the water bubbles come out from where the power cord comes in the housing so im guessing it would be ok... But now you made me doupt myself birdlady so ill try to take one appart just to see..

Marc.

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Marc,

If the pump is completely submerged then air simply cannot get in :) Assuming that some air is trapped inside the pump when installed or cleaned then it will disappear over time :)

BTW, I totally agree with BL

DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN YOUR PUMPS

John :)