Bubbles, foam on top of water

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by JK901, Mar 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JK901

JK901 Skunk Shrimp

I don't think I have enough flow in my tank.

I have noticed an algae of some type forming on my water surface. It seems to pile up in white bubbles, then turn green. I don't think the flow is good enough in the tank to sufficiently keep the water surface moving.

It is a 20 gallon tank with one zoomed 212 rotating powerhead. It does 125 gallons and is rated to 20 gallons. I have a sea clone skimmer hanging on the back that adds a little flow, but not much.

I bought another powerhead today, Aquaclear 50 (270GPH) but I haven't opened it or put it in.

Thoughts?

2. Click Here!

3. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I know a generic reference of 10X tank size should be turnover rate. However, for a reef it needs to be more like 20X-30X, some even say 40X!!! I'm shooting for the 30 range in my tank. Flow and water turbulance are a good think in a SW tank. Also think about pointing a powerhead so that it ripples the surface water. Hope I helped!!

4. JK901

JK901 Skunk Shrimp

Yeah, that is what I figured.

I barely had 10X of turnover if that. I think the new PH will do the trick.

Thanks

5. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

I have the same problem. Planning to build myself a closed loop using a Mag 18 based on the design I found here ==> Melevsreef.com - Closed Loop

6. JK901

JK901 Skunk Shrimp

Great idea. I might do something like that if I don't switch to the 45 gallon soon.