bubble tips mouth wide open??

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by aquariusgrl, Jan 14, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. aquariusgrl

aquariusgrl Plankton

I have had my green BTA for about a month now that I bought from the LFS w a clown fish. They have loved each other at the store and have done great in my tank until now. My tank is 55gal and the anemone found his home after a week or so. I wanted him to get used to the new tank with out disturbing him too much so I fed him for the first time today. I fed it frozen reef formula (thawed) with my baster I use to feed other coral in the tank. He ate great with no problems. That was at about 4pm and about a half hr ago.. 9:15 I noticed the anemone suddenly had its mouth wide open. About 3min after that it started to expel slime, 2min after that it deflated but did not close up. My clown still is trying to rub all in it and I have no idea what I can do to help if I need to do n e thing?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi aquariusgrl,

There is really nothing you can do. Unfortunately that BTA has lost all it's zooxanthellae. Odds are not in it's favor long term. Even a healthy anemone will display a wide oral opening occasionally and expel waste and or zooxanthellae.

Feed it tiny pieces only and not more than once or twice a week.

All you can do at this point hope for the best.

Moved----to Inverts.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  4. aquariusgrl

aquariusgrl Plankton

Just checked on it aging and its puffing back up!! I have no clue what is going on with it. I will take ur advice and feed it small amounts. Thank u. Will update the condition of it as it changes.

1 person likes this.
  5. aquariusgrl

aquariusgrl Plankton

6. Meanie

Meanie Spaghetti Worm

Let it be. I have a RBTA, mine does the same thing. It is all puffed up then I feed him some mysis shrimp and he looks good, after a few hours it may be all shriveled up to nothing. The next morning it's fine again. The stringy slimy stuff, is waste. They usually shrivel down and have there mouth wide open when they need to dispose of waste, or if they simply need a water change. However, the mouth wide open could be a bad sign. If there is one thing I have learned it's let it be and give it time. I thought the same thing about mine after I first got it, it had it's mouth wide open with stringy stuff coming out. The it was fine again. As long as it has a solid hold with its foot and doesn't stay shriveled for a long period of time, like a day or 2, it should be fine.

7. aquariusgrl

aquariusgrl Plankton

Ok thank you. When its mouth was open it was puffed up, then after expelling slime it shriveled. What's crazy is it puffed back up about an hr after it all happened so I'm happy about that. I will leave it alone and feed again next week. Also it kept its foot hold on the rock very solid throughout the whole thing. Maybe it had to burp:) hehe

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

you've gotten really good advice. I hope it will come back for you.

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

How's the anemone doing?

11. aquariusgrl

aquariusgrl Plankton

Thanx everyone for the tips and advice. Its doing great, I've never seen it this big actually:) its puffed up and tentacles are looking great as well!!!

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

good news! keep us updated on your progress!