Bubble tip.....not so bubbly

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by jgutierrez84106, Jan 10, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jgutierrez84106

jgutierrez84106 Plankton

Have a green bubble tip anenome that is not lookin so good. When I bought him he was a bright green color and did very well in my tank for several months. I moved some return pipes and changed the current flow during a routine cleaning. I assume he didn't like that and began moving about the tank after be stationary for a couple of months. I unfortunatly noticed that he got a small portion stuck in a intake in one of my overflows. Instead of ripping him out and risk damaging him I let him be. He made his way out later that day, but since then has been really drab and not very coloful. It been about 2 wks since getting stuck.He had no obvious signs of damage or injury. It is open and exposed but just not looking very hot !!! Could I missing something ? Nutrition wise or could he be hurt ? How do I get him back to that cool green?

Any suggestions

Jonathan

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

anemones aren't very hardy. your water quality needs to be very good.

I think he looks bad because he got sucked into the intake pipe...you really should anemone proof your tank.

also you should be feeding it, different foods until you find something it likes.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Make sure your aquarium lightng bulbs are not too old.

Prehaps offer small pieces of raw choppped seafood, like scallops, shrimp, clams once every 2 weeks.

If you get a chance a pictures would help as well.

Good Luck.

5. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

anemones are like toddlers, you need to "baby proof" your tank. because they dont know whats going to cause them harm, you dont come across many water pumps or overflows in the wild. also it is unlikely that that is what caused it to look bad. anemones need superb water quality and anything less they wither and die. in good water anemones are extremely resilient, i have a malu anemone that had a rock fall on it. it was practically in 2 pieces and they just grew into two seperate anemones. hope this helps.

6. jgutierrez84106

jgutierrez84106 Plankton

Thanks for all the advise. It really helps. Any suggestions on how to anenome "proof" the take??
    I have and 125 tank with over flow in each corner. uploadfromtaptalk1294730084349.jpg

I test pretty regularly and everything look pretty good, PH 8.2 amm, NO3 and NO2 unreadable or very small trace readings. So my water should be good.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

7. kimberlee

kimberlee Flamingo Tongue

I used my old nets. I cut off the netting and secured it around my power heads and intakes

8. Click Here!

9. NoDoze

NoDoze Plankton

I have had 4 anemones for over 10 years. Ritteri are my favs, second bubble tips.

I've had anemones damaged by clowns, bristle worms, and pumps. My tank is now outflow box only because of this.

Anemones are VERY picky especially when damaged. If damaged it could take months to heal. They won't eat, and sometimes will go into hiding when healing. Then when they are through healing they'll start exposing themselves more to the light, and only when fully expanded, can you start feeding them again.

If you're hoping your bubble tip will be back to its full color soon, sorry, it's not going to be ANY time soon. And forcing it to eat or be in a place it doesn't want to be, will just cause it more stress and take longer to heal.

Anemones will also move if the water parameters are not good, it's hungry, or if something is irritating it, like a clown.

Anemones do open more offten with clown fish, but clown fish can also be very aggressive with anenomies, when the aneome is not doing what the clown wants it to do. But on the same note, clown fish are a good indicator of how well the anemone is doing. My clowns will move rocks or sand to make new or more space for an anemone up to 3 days before the anemone even shows signs of moving. The clowns will feed it, take discharge away, defend it from other fish (and myself), and if it starts moving will guide it to a new location.

The only thing we can do is keep the water parameters the best and most stable we can and let the anemone do it's thing!