Bubble Tip Anemone Question

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by Diver_1298, Jan 25, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

OK,

I know this has been asked before but I never read an answer that satisfied my curiousity. "Why do the beautiful bubble tips on this type of anemone dissapear into long thin strands whenever a clown or anemone fish decides to host in it?"
    Enquiring minds want to know.
    I really like the way they look with the fat feelers and tips, and would like to keep them that way, but I think I am fighting a losing battle. :eek: :eek:

Jim

Attached are images of what I am talking about. Hats off to "giopimentel" for a picture of his rbta that split. The other one is mine with a now deceased tomato clown.

http://www.3reef.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/1304/cat/500/ppuser/10420
    http://www.3reef.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1316&cat=500

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

And the answer is......nobody really knows why :)

4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

It's funny you bring that up. A couple of days ago, I was reading up on the rose bubble tip. Wow, that guy needs A LOT of light. Minimum 6wpg+.

As I was reading up on it, the article noted that the anemone deflates it's tentacles to capture food and or because it is making the best of the available light. It stretches and deflates due to lack of light or to capture food because it's hungry and not being fed enough. How often to you spot feed it?

Also, I had a BTA not long ago and I noticed that it deflated and stretched when the moonlights came on and them when I turned on the lights, it went back to it's normal size and inflated it's bubble tips, but later deflated them and were stringy looking. Whenever I would touch it, it inflated the bubble tips A LOT! And I would tell myself, "That's how I want you to look dammit!".

You seem to be providing some great deal of light. But you should research your anemone and find out for sure, anemones require A LOT of intense light. And it may just be that the clown is bugging it, I dont know. Who knows, the mysteries of anemones. Amcarrig is right, no one really knows why.

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I have read somewhere that when bta's dont have bubble tips it is not really a sign of a bad thing...somtimes they just dont have bubble tips, i agree with rickzter fully :)

6. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Thanks for the replies :)
    I was hoping that some great knowledgeable anemone person would have a simple solution so my RBTA would go back to looking like it used too :)
    But, alas it seems like I will have to experiment on my own. LOL
    It used to be in my wifes 20 long with 260 watts of pc daylight and actinic lighting. I put it in my 90 last night. I'll see if anything changes. The Gold Striped Maroon I have is now in hog heaven er.. I mean Clown heaven. I caught her this morning running back and forth between the carpet anemone and the rbta...
    Thanks again.

Jim

7. giopimentel

giopimentel Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I feed mine pretty much every day or at least every other day. I feed mine 1/2 of a thawed out silverside, and some other days I'll feed thawed out krill. The anemone seems to like it, so all is well. Also mine had the bubble whe I bought it, not sure if yours did.

8. Click Here!

9. infinity118

infinity118 Plankton

two anemones in a week. can someone please help? the first anemone was a bta it live for about 6 month then it lost all it tentacles with a anemone shrimp eating its bulb. 1 week later it die. last week I pick up a purple tip anemone it last for two days. it was torn up into pieces all over the sand bed. 2 days ago i pickup another bta when i put it in the tank the bulb big and round but after 2 hours later the bubble tips r gone and never saw it again. it moving around the tank with it mouth open. what going on? Help really mad

10. mushroom_man

mushroom_man Bubble Tip Anemone

miami,right near da beach BOYE!, FL,Florida
    in your sig it says you have a 5 and a half gallon... do you have all that life in there. well that might be the first problem... what are your parameters?

11. davidh

davidh Astrea Snail

guys what is the best way to get clowns in a bubble tip??

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Not all clowns will nest in a bubble tip. What kind of clown have you got?