bubble tip anemone question

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by tank9127, Jan 22, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tank9127

tank9127 Astrea Snail

I have two clowns and im looking to get a bubble tip for them in my biocube 29. I have some coral and a clam in the aquarium so im a little nervous about adding the bubble tip. Anybody have any advice or experience? thanks for the help.

2. Click Here!

3. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

My own exsperience wasn't good.My tank bred clowns were never hosted by it and it needed to have alot of room to keep it from stinging corals.It did look nice and remained in one place for over a year.It was when I started adding some sps frags that it decided to go on walkabout so I removed it.Not long after removing it my clowns began using a cespitularia colony as host...go figure!

4. tank9127

tank9127 Astrea Snail

thanks for the response. I think I have enough room between my corals but like you said they can and probably will walk around.

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I keep an RBTA in my biocube 14. Assuming you don't have stock lighting, I'd say go for it, get a small one. Don't count on it hosting right away, tank-bred clowns often will skip the anemone. FWIW I had wild caught skunk clowns swim into my acclimation box to get to the nem. lol clowns are some weird fish.

6. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

bubble tips are one of the "hardier" anemones but still require good water chemistry and more importantly good lighting. so if you could list these two factors we could get a better idea of the home it will be going into.

like mentioned there is no guarantee it will host your clowns, personally iv had good luck with my true percula which are hosted by both my orange bubble tips and my condy anemone.

you are correct in fearing the stings, more so in a small aquarium where when it moves its bound to come into contact with corals. the general rule is to coral-scape (if thats even a term) around an anemone once its settled and not vice versa.

whatever you do, especially when you first get it, resist the temptation of moving it around and placing it where YOU want to see it. the anemone will find a place to call "home" on its own. any attempt to place it where you want may result in stress, loss of energy and ultimately death as the anemone moves around to find a place it likes.

its an animal that enjoys abundant light and weak to moderate random flow. for what it worth my orange bubble tips are close to my sand bed under my radions where they obtain a very gentle, random flow.

check em out
    [​IMG]

i use to have only one but last summer it split. notice how my green star polyps are not very happy about this....

in terms of feeding they enjoy the occasional snack but should not be fed daily, they have a slow digestive system that can lead to internal bacterial infection if they are overfed. Most of their nutritional needs are obtained from photosynthesis.

Otherwise its definitely an awesome animal and should your clowns decide to smother themselves into it you will see a pretty cool symbiotic relationship. my female percula takes care of feeding my anemone by bringing her chunks of meaty bites during feeding time.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  7. tank9127

tank9127 Astrea Snail

Great info, thanks for the help. Those bubble tips look amazing.

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

you are most welcome