Bubble tip anemone HELP!!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by sjn1282, Jun 15, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sjn1282

sjn1282 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I think my bubble tip is dying. He has looked bad for a few weeks now. I have 2 rock anemones and a mini maxi that are doing great. Ill put a before and after pic so you all can see. I was thinking he was mad at the flow i had going. I have a jebao that i have been running on wave mode and the return was going down his way too so i thought maybe he just got mad with the back and forth motion, which i noticed my ultra rock nem got mad over so i switched it to random the other day as well as moved the return and he looks a little better, which the rock nem does too, than they did but are there any other suggestions? I am getting my water checked tomorrow but last time i had it checked about 2 weeks ago it was where it always is. 1.024, nitrates 0 , nitrites 0, phosphates 0, ph 8.0, calcium 430. He slowly got like this since i started the wave mode about a month and a half ago thats the only reason i am thinking that could be the problem. I do 5 gallon water changes weekly, i have a 55 gallon tall, 2 120 watt led fixtures, protein skimmer, phosban reactor running gfo, 20 gallon sump with rock, cheato, and 2 mangroves. I have read clowns can beat them up so would this be a possibility as u can see my clown doesnt leave it alone lol. CAM00035.jpg CAM00263.jpg Thats before and now. Any help would be appreciated as i would love to see him back to his bubbly self.
    Thanks!!

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

What are you feeding it/them, and hope often?

Mr. Bill likes this.
  4. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1 to ^^^

To be honest, it doesn't look very healthy in the first pic; it's reduced to a flat disc with small beads for tentacles. That's a sign that it may have already been starving. Don't know how successful you'll be at feeding it at this point, but I'd suggest giving it every effort. And yes, you might want to keep the clown away until you can nurse it back to normal.

5. Alfie uk

Alfie uk Feather Duster

As you all say, that does look a sickly nem, how long have you had it?
    Is it still firmly attached to the rock? How long has it looked like it does now?
    It is possible it could come round but I would keep a close eye on it as you dont want it dying in the tank.
    Try and monitor the mouth, they often turn inside out prior to expiring.

Have you been feeding it, and if so what?

6. MOMONEYMOMONEY

MOMONEYMOMONEY Plankton

I had one that looked sick for a while , then it had a baby.

7. sjn1282

I have been feeding them all pieces of krill. About 1 time a week and i see the rock nems catching food when i feed the tank. I have had it for 3 months now. It started looking like this about a month and a half ago. Yes its firmly attached. I tried to take it out and put it n another tank we have but it wouldnt come off the rock so i would have to take out the whole rock. The tank i was gonna put it now has a new clarkii clown in it so i dont know if it would try to have it host it or not. There are no other nems in that tank. I did a tank swap avout a month ago but it looked like that before i switched tanks and i used all the same water etc. Should i put it with the rock in the other tank and see if the clarkii messes with it? Or should i try to put some screen around it so the clown doesnt get to it? I have 2 clowns but they are still in the who gets domination stage. The second i added a month ago so the original still claims the nem and doesnt really let the other around it.

8. Click Here!

9. sjn1282

It was eating fine when it was bubbly but now the food just kinda drops out. Ill try to feed it again today. It all seemed to start when i got the jebao and was doing wave mode so could that be a reason or does the flow not really play a part?

10. sjn1282

I have a coral beauty angel that sometimes hangs behind it. Do they nip at nems or no? I have watched him and it looks like he just grazes the rock and doesnt mess with anything else but i did see a few posts of people talking of them possibly doing it but nothing solid.

11. sjn1282

Wow right after i wrote that i watched it nip my ultra rock nem and its closed up. Maybe hes killing it? I have noticed my rock nem losing some green in the center.

12. sjn1282

One thing i saw said if u keep them fed they shouldnt. That makes me wonder if im feeding enough? I do every other day and like a quarter block of food. I have 2 clowns, the coral beauty and a scooter blenny. I just tried half a block and they ate it all so should i be doing even more? Or feed every day?