bubble tip anemone, are they safe in a small reef tank

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by sweetriden76, Feb 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Ok, anemones and feeding/survival! First and foremost anemones reqiure good water flow, lighting and water conditions, though higher than normal nitrates and phosphates are GOOD!
    Anemones are not the easiest of inverts to maintain in a captive environment. Many an anemone dies a short, quick death as many of us do not know how to keep an anemone or know their husbandry and compatibility requirements. This is not a knock on anyone, it is just that they are harder to keep than most other inverts.
    Anemones will feed via various methods: Through their zooxanthellae, their food capture by their Cnidae, and a discharge of nematocysts through a structure called ciliary cone complex, whcih allows anemones to capture and consume larger foods such as fish.
    Once these prey foods have been ingested, they become ejested in a mucus ball called a bolus.

Anemones can also feed on organic and inorganic matter and through absorption.
    So having said this, I would feed the anemone once a week through target feeding as they will receive their nutrients through the various other means stated above!
    In your case with such a small tank, I would refrain from keeping an anemone in a small tank as lighting, and waterflow will pose a problem, not to mention that the tank is so small and if the anemone moves which is typical it could end up in your filtration equipment causing death or it will kill corals in the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

yeah, it would have to be a real small one, my LFS would take it and give me credit if it got to large, I have the flow issue covered, I upgraded to over twice the stock flow so the current is moving well, it would have to stay near the top to get enouhg light though, and it would have a real hard time getting on the skimmer pickup for the filter(only skims maybe a 1/4 inch deep and the slots are small...If I find a small one I may try it, or maybe If I see a nice toadstool leather my clowns will host in that, really depends on what I can find