bubble tip anemone, are they safe in a small reef tank

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by sweetriden76, Feb 29, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sweetriden76

sweetriden76 Coral Banded Shrimp

would a small BTA be ok in my 12 gallon, I'd like to give one to my pair of clowns as they are trying to host in various locations that Id rather not(rubbing on my zoas, on the rocks, whatever they can find), and have always like BTAs so are they a good addition? do the pose danger to anything else?(I know they sting corals if they touch) but i mean to other fish/shrimp. and also what do I need to do to care for it?(feeding and what not)

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

The most important factor for BTA is lighting and flow. Once it finds a sweet spot it stays there. I dont see a problem.

4. sweetriden76

cool, I have some spots right at the top of the tank, on the highest rock and the flow comes right over that area from the outlet nozzel for the filter...do I need to feed it? what and how often?

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I wouldn't suggest feeding it in a nano as it will get huge quickly if you do. Just let the lighting and clownfish feed it and let it also eat whatever fish food you feed your fish that it can catch.

6. sweetriden76

thats good to hear, that will make it nice and easy to care for since I keep a close eye on the water perams

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I have a couple small ones in my 12 gallon...do pretty well despite crappy lighting.

Clowns love them....

8. Click Here!

9. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Hey Sweetriden76, I've had a bubble-tip for a few weeks now, and my 2 clowns still do not take it as their host, maybe they're tank raised??? I feed it re-hydrated freeze dried jumbo krill, one about 2 times a week. I read they'll die if you don't supplement their food, and there's no guarantee your clowns will feed him (mine don't, but good luck trying on yours) But be careful, b/c just after two weeks when he hasn't left the rock he's been on, all of a sudden, he decides he wants to move around. So don't assume that he'll ever stay put in a place you can view him whenever you want to, even if he starts there.

Here's what I'm talking about:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

11. Godbert

Godbert Montipora Capricornis

12. sweetriden76

thanks for all the info, it will be at least monday or tuesday till i get one, they had two but they were both pretty large, so i passed